New rear sight

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
LDT63

New rear sight

Post by LDT63 »

I wanted a rear peep sight for my 92 but prefer to have windage and elevation adjustment. This is what I did for my rifle - maybe it will help somebody else looking for another sight option. I bought a Williams WGRS series peep sight for a Winchester Model 70 rifle. It doesn’t matter what rifle is intended for but the Model 70 sight has a similar mounting surface radius and a thick enough base to allow for machining to the correct radius to match the 92 bolt. The sight is screwed into a threaded plug in the safety hole. The sight also required clearancing to not interfere with the locking lugs when the action is closed.

For the barrel sight dovetail, I bought silver heat to harden clay and used it to fill the dovetail. I used a heat gun to harden it. Not the prettiest or even very durable solution but will do for now. I may try some model paint on the clay to get a better match to the barrel.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Blind Hawg

Re: New rear sight

Post by Blind Hawg »

See Skinner Sights for PERMANENT dovetail blank, $9.00 in SS
LDT63

Post by LDT63 »

I’ve seen the Skinner and other dovetail blanks but prefer something that matches barrel contour. I’m going to experiment with the clay to better match the barrel color. The blank is only cosmetic so I’m not concerned about the material.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

The cool thing about a dovetail blank NOT quite matching contour is that the punch to knock it out bears easier on a flat.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I have a Lyman/Skinner style blank in the Waffle Top and it looks bad. I spent a couple hours filing it down and it's still no where near barrel contour. I bought a fitted blank from Ranger Point Precision for my Peanut 39A and it fits perfectly although more difficult to install as mentioned.

Here is the clumsy looking plug on the 336RC (blow up the image if needed).

Here is the RPP blank on the 39A.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
getdaguns

Post by getdaguns »

Are you using the factory height front site with the Williams peep? If looks great!
LDT63

Post by LDT63 »

Yes- initial firing with Williams peep and stock front sight seemed to be in the ballpark with the peepsight approximately in the middle of the elevation adjustment range.

I also removed the barrel dovetail filler and installed a 10/22 rear sight. The 10/22 sight folds down so it doesn’t obstruct the peep line of sight. I may try to adjust one sight for long range and the other for short.

I have a Marlin 1894 25-20 (1910) that has a similar setup and it works well. The Marlin has a tang peep sight, two fold down rear sight blades on the barrel and a globe/post interchangeable front sight. Gives lots of options for sighting.