R92 44 Mag Failure to fire

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
dlidster

Re: R92 44 Mag Failure to fire

Post by dlidster »

Bad batches of primers do escape the factories, but not frequently. I've been reloading for 62 years and have had almost no primer problems. I say almost. Several years ago I had a brick of Winchester large pistol primers that misbehaved as yours have. I returned them to Scheel's where I bought them. I've used thousands of Winchester primers since with no problems. (Federals are my favorites, though.)

Just for the heck of it, buy another brand (if you can find them). The problem may not have anything to do with what you're doing.
jisco43

Post by jisco43 »

I dry tumble my brass then clean each case individually. Using my RCBS Hand Primer I never touch the primers. I will post results of priming with my Turret Press after this weekend.
jisco43

Post by jisco43 »

Here's what I found today after reloading and priming using my Lee Turret Press. Out of 15 rounds I had 1 that failed to fire after 4 attempts. Bad primers or a problem with my firing pin? The jury is still out on this one I guess!
Sarge
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Sarge »

If you haven't lightened your hammer spring and you're getting good deep primer indentations, it's almost certainly the primers. I am basing that on the 1 of 15 that failed to fire after repeated attempts. That's got Bad Primers written all over it.

If you can scare up a couple hundred new major-brand primers, I bet it will light all of them,
jisco43

Post by jisco43 »

Haven't done anything but shoot it so I'm suspecting the same, Sarge. I have 5.5 acres with my own range more or less and have only been shooting at 30 yds. since purchasing this rifle in July. Getting some pretty good groups with 2400 and 4227 so it's time to try some longer shooting now that I have confidence in my reloads.