Scope mount

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Fla Trooper 265

Scope mount

Post by Fla Trooper 265 »

I mounted a Leupold long eye relief scope on my 92. The mou t and rings are tight. I am having trouble with the scope not holding zero. Two shots hit the zero but the next shot will be 4 inches high and the next one 4 inches low. I am waiting about 1 minute between shots. I sent the scope back to Leupold and they checked it and sent it back. Anybody have any ideas? The mount is the noe barrel mount.
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Scope mount

Post by golfish »

Just wondering. Is this a new gun?
Is it a 44mag?
How does it shoot without the scope?
Fla Trooper 265

It' fairly new, its in 45 Colt. It shoots dine with the iron sights. I am just wondering if it is a problem with the scope or barrel vibration causing the zero to wander off.
Nashville Stage

Post by Nashville Stage »

What distance is your target at?
Also, what ammo are you using?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

It probably is related to an inconsistent cheek position on the stock. With the very low comb of the butt stock, it is almost impossible to have a consistent cheek position without something that increases comb height. The original Rossi 92s that had the barrel drilled and taped for the scope base came with a synthetic riser for the stock. Rossi even offered a kit with the mount that included a drill bit and tap, and the cheek riser. Scout scopes, because of the extended eye relief, require a near perfect eye alignment. You cannot consistently "hold" your head with the proper alignment. I've been shooting scout bolt, lever, and semiauto rifles for over 20 years.

There are cheek pieces that strap onto the stock. You might try one.
Michael
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Not to be a jerk but the original Rossi rifles in round barrel did not have any holes drilled and tapped for a scope mount. Maybe the octagons did but I don't think the original Rossi R92 was made in octagon. It's either an issue of semantics or I am terribly incorrect.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Fla Trooper 265

Ranch Dog are you saying looking through the scope inconsistently will change point of impact on the target. I am thinking the scope is not holding zero. I am a experienced rifle shooter
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

GasGuzzler wrote:Not to be a jerk but the original Rossi rifles in round barrel did not have any holes drilled and tapped for a scope mount. Maybe the octagons did but I don't think the original Rossi R92 was made in octagon. It's either an issue of semantics or I am terribly incorrect.
Sort of depends on your notions of 'original' Rossi. It is possible that the Armando Rossi did NOT have provisions for scope mounts OR that it was something that was added at some point.

Since the wording you are taking exception to seems to be:
The original Rossi 92s that had the barrel drilled and taped for the scope base came with a synthetic riser for the stock.
you might want to read it again. The way I read it the phrase refers specifically to the subject: 'The original Rossi 92s that had the barrel drilled and tapped for the scope base'. I'll take RD's word that these guns came prepackaged with a scope mount and a cheek riser when they started coming out.

I can say from direct first hand experience that Rossi 92 ROUND BARREL guns from the Braztech era and possibly before were drilled and tapped to mount a scout scope mount UNDER the rear sight. Both my .44 SS RB gun and my .357 blued RB gun are so equipped and in typical cheap Rossi fashion the drilled and tapped mounting holes DO NOT have screw plugs in them.

I will further say that Rossi 92 round barreled rifles that came with the saddle ring I've seen also came with the scout scope mount. This is the mount that RD found to be made out of mild aluminum and the reason for NOE putting out a batch of scout scope mounts for the R92. BECAUSE 1) Rossi only made the mounts available with the saddle ring carbines and 2) the mounts were made out of substandard materials. 3) many of us on this site and elsewhere were looking for the scope mounts whether or not we wished to mount anything on our Rossi guns we wanted the option.

IF you move the elevator hard to the rear in the standard sight on these guns you can SEE two of the mount holes through the slot in the rear sight.

The octagonal rifles were never factory equipped for any scope mount that I'm aware. Somebody did make one that I think would work but it was pretty expensive.

I'll leave any lingering subjective questions for others to decide.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Fla Trooper 265 wrote:Ranch Dog are you saying looking through the scope inconsistently will change point of impact on the target. I am thinking the scope is not holding zero. I am a experienced rifle shooter
One does not preclude the other but Leupold scopes tend to be pretty good about maintaining zero if they are mounted correctly and if they aren't screwed around with. From experience I have had good results from Leupold's customer service. Great folks! THEY have already looked over the scope without finding a problem from when you sent it in. You say the base and the rings are right and tight.
So what is left?
Shooter, Technique, Rifle gun, Ammo...
You say the iron sights are good to go so that sort of rules out the rifle, the ammo and the shooter with a normal cheek weld? The only thing that's really left is technique with the scout setup OR one of the things you have already checked out has fooled you.

How much of your experience shooting scoped rifles have the scope 15" in front of your face?
A cheek weld when you face is lined up with the scope, and the scope is an inch to three inches in front of your eye is pretty consistent. A chin weld can vary depending on how you hold your mouth, especially with the scope another foot plus in front of your eye.

It is probably pretty easy to rig up a improvised cheek piece on the gun with duct tape and a couple three washcloths or the like and try again. If it is still not working for you then maybe something else is a problem?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

GasGuzzler wrote:Not to be a jerk but the original Rossi rifles in round barrel did not have any holes drilled and tapped for a scope mount. Maybe the octagons did but I don't think the original Rossi R92 was made in octagon. It's either an issue of semantics or I am terribly incorrect.
I'm referencing the BrazTech rifles that made the original scout mount. You are correct that earlier manufacturers of the rifle did not drill and tap the barrel for the mount. That said, the first R92 Scout I purchased was a Puma in 44 Mag. "A. Rossi", the "A" for Amadeo, was stamped on the barrel. It was the complete "-002" Scout. Rossi added that suffix to the 20" carbine's model number when it was prepped as a Scout. My assumption was the Scout kit could prep any earlier R92 as a properly set up scout rifle. The last kit I bought was found at an outdoor supply in Australia.
Michael