Williams FP on My Rossi R92

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
josef644

Williams FP on My Rossi R92

Post by josef644 »

I saw on another forum where a fellow had a good photo spread of him installing a Williams FP sight on his Rossi R92. I wanted these myself as I am 73, and the eyes aren't always happy with trying to get a sight picture. Two holes need to be drilled and tapped to 6-48 threads. I took my sights and my rifle to a local gunsmith. I was quoted 40-50 bucks. Was called a week later and told my gun was ready. Scurred down, and behold no sights, holes. The gunsmith came out and advised me that he called Williams Sights, and they told him hese were not correct for my gun. He refused to drill and tap. Young guy.
I went to Harbor Freight and bought me an 8" tabletop drill press. Once home I ordered a 6-48 tap from MidwayUSA. I found carbide # 31 drill bits from an outfit in Florida.

I didn't want to drill to far forward and hit the rear of the left side cartridge guide. Found me a sweet spot. After drilling and tapping the hole, I mounted the sight in the receiver to center punch for the second hole. the first screw didn't protrude into anything. Sweet!!! Second hole was a piece of cake. Second hole tapped. Second screw didn't come in too deep either. I had to file a small amount of chaff from around the two holes. Very easy to do. If you like the Williams peep sight don't be afraid of doing this at home.
IMG_7111.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Williams FP on My Rossi R92

Post by Archer »

Have you shot it yet?

I'm guessing Williams didn't have a drilling template for the poor child and he's overly cautious about simply bolting what the customer wants on their gun. It LOOKS like it should work and unlike many of the Williams I've seen on older guns looks like the adjustments are easy and don't require two to three hands and a screw driver.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

The target knobs make it really easy to dial in the zero for different loads. Nice work!
TinMan
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by TinMan »

Looks great....nice write-up....well done!
"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
George Orwell

"Fight only when you must. But if it's unavoidable.....fight like your the third monkey trying to get on the Ark."
barracudadave67

Post by barracudadave67 »

Nice job josef, Im an ole fart also, (76) and still do a lot of my own gunsmithing, and Mopar engine building.
Keep up he good work.
Dave
josef644

Post by josef644 »

Archer wrote:Have you shot it yet?

I'm guessing Williams didn't have a drilling template for the poor child and he's overly cautious about simply bolting what the customer wants on their gun. It LOOKS like it should work and unlike many of the Williams I've seen on older guns looks like the adjustments are easy and don't require two to three hands and a screw driver.

I am guessing he only does pre drilled scope mounts etc.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Great job Josef!
Michael
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Looks good and will serve you fine ! I am all for people doing their own work. Sad thing is the young feller left you hanging all that time.
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
josef644

Post by josef644 »

Was able to get to the range today. I was able to shrink my groups in half with these sights. I injured my strong eye,(right), in 1990. I was able to shoot with it pretty dang good too. I am impressed.
rman
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by rman »

Good job Josef. I had a gunsmith mount an FP on my 92. I don't have the tools or expertise to do it myself. The gunsmith told me that mine was made out of the hardest steel he had ever seen and asked me not to bring him any more. I really like mine and use the the little rifle for Pistol Caliber Cowboy silhouette matches.
At my age, there IS nothing better than shooting.