Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I was out on a three day trip and my wife reported that the hogs where tearing everything up around the house each night. I got home at 10:15 last night and we usually will stay up a bit. I told her I wanted to check things outside before we settled in as it was a beautiful, clear night with the moon providing excellent illumination. As I checked the horizon with binoculars, on my upper food plot I could see a sounder of hogs on the edge of a brush line quite a ways out. Getting to them would be another story as it is quite open from the house to the plot. I checked out a couple of movement options and finally figured the only thing that would work was what Uncle Sam had taught me many years ago, act like a snake and go get them. So, with the R92 357 Mag in tow, I crawled out to them keeping as absolutely flat as possible. I shot this fellow at 75 yards and he went down on the spot he was standing.
hog_03.jpg
I remain absolutely sold on the scout rifle concept. A year ago my main worry was that the eye relief would not lend itself to the night shooting I do but it is not a concern in the least. The Weaver optics are outstanding. I said this before, just a personal though, the 357 Mag is the rifle I wanted at the start of this but at the time I could not find one. I'm glad I didn't as while waiting I ended up with all of them. That probably would not have happened as this is cartridge is fulfilling the role I envisioned it would with the RF, 175-grain bullet. It dumps critters without recoil or noise.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
357cyrus

Re: #3

Post by 357cyrus »

Nice piggy! How do you work the lever if you're slitherin in the grass?! I wish we had the pigs up north for year round hunting, but I know they'd bring their destruction with them. I'm fighting the urge to buy a lever action in 357. Just too versatile to ignore if you ask me. Have you seen one suppressed shooting sub-sonic 38's? AWESOME
*** Peace Through Superior Firepower ***
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: #3

Post by Ranch Dog »

357cyrus wrote:Nice piggy! How do you work the lever if you're slitherin in the grass?! I wish we had the pigs up north for year round hunting, but I know they'd bring their destruction with them. I'm fighting the urge to buy a lever action in 357. Just too versatile to ignore if you ask me. Have you seen one suppressed shooting sub-sonic 38's? AWESOME
You just get one shot and they are instantly gone so working the lever is not that big of deal unless the rifle was suppressed. I really don't like crawling around out here, too many things to sting you. Worse thing would be to crawl across a fire ant mound. Yesterday afternoon was spent on the tractor leveling the mess the hogs made. It is quicker to shoot them than to clean up after them!
Michael