Can't insert last round. File down Loading gate?

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: Can't insert last round. File down Loading gate?

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I had a similar problem with my new 1895 Marlin in 45/70, very stiff loading gate and a PITA to load. I asked over on the FaceBook group for suggestions as I had planned to tear it down and lighten the spring. One of the guys suggested putting a snap cap part way into the loading port and leaving it there. I figured nothing to loose if the spring took a set I'd have to go inside to fix that. It took close to 2 weeks to see improvement but I can load it fully. Still need to smooth the edges, but since we're in mandatory lock down here in Ohio I've got time on my hands for all these little projects.

Stay safe,
Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
dlidster

Post by dlidster »

I hesitate to comment out of concern for offending the OP, but I think this situation reflects a basic lack of familiarity with 92's. Rimmed cartridges will "catch" as shown in his original photo as long as the loading gate is pressing up against it. In normal loading each subsequent cartridge is relieving the tension on the loading gate so the cartridge with the "caught" rim can be pressed into position. The obvious solution is to begin to load one more cartridge so the problematic one will slip into position.

Now, after a while, we all seem to learn how to do this with a finger. I have three 92's -- a .38/357, .44/40 and .44 Mag. All behave this way and all will try to bite my finger getting that last cartridge in place. Lightening the loading gate spring doesn't eliminate the problem. It just make the bite less intense.

I have several ½-inch dowels about three inches long with rounded ends. I keep these with the ammo I use in my 92's. When I go shooting with the intent of doing a lot of loading I slip one of these into my pocket. I use it to simultaneously press the loading gate down and push the last cartridge into position. It won't scratch the loading gate and saves my finger tips.
dalek

Post by dalek »

Going a bit on a tangent, how do people get to the point they can reload their 92s (or similar lever guns) at speed in a competition? I am very deliberate (read slow) on my loading but have seen videos of people doing it as fast as they can get a round and sliding it in. As in as fast as some 3 gunners reload their tube fed shotguns.
Fran49829

Post by Fran49829 »

Hello,
I originally posted this thread and my problem was loading even 1 cartridge into the magazine tube. I used a small flat file and filed the flat part of the spring the full width and length (on the opposite side of the gate) thus thinning the loading gate spring and making it easier to push down. This has now solved my problem. I leave each cartridge sticking out of the gate as I push more in but I can now push the last cartridge, be it 1 or 10 past the loading gate with my finger. Thanks to all for your help.
Fran
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Glad to hear you worked it out.

Be well, stay safe, make smoke
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

dalek wrote:Going a bit on a tangent, how do people get to the point they can reload their 92s (or similar lever guns) at speed in a competition? I am very deliberate (read slow) on my loading but have seen videos of people doing it as fast as they can get a round and sliding it in. As in as fast as some 3 gunners reload their tube fed shotguns.
Practice.
Competitors will often as has been noted both trim the tube spring so that the spring force is less and thin the gate spring so there's no resistance there as well but the real speed increase is simply a LOT of practice.

Remember though, competitors typically may have two or three identical guns. One is being used in competition. One is a spare and the last is being repaired. Much like a race car that is ready for the big race the gun may be 'tuned' to the point that it is faster but also more likely to break.

Those competition guns may also be a specific caliber or a specific model type. I have heard a lot of folks say they can get a 1873 lever design tricked out with a short stroke lever and lightened springs that really aids firing at speed. It may be that a .38-40 for example feeds smoother than a .44 Mag or .38/.357?

Many of those competitions use ammo that is what I refer to as 'powder puff' rounds. That is sufficient to get the 15 or 25 yards the targets might be set up on but rarely approach the power levels of factory .357, .44 Mag or even .44-40. I have little interest in that level cap gun.
bkydcmpr

Post by bkydcmpr »

I got my new 92 recently, the loading gate was tight too, I plugged a pencil in it overnight seems improved a lot.
Psegnatelli

Post by Psegnatelli »

Every once in awhile I get a round stuck in the loading gate. I did smooth down a burr on the gate when I first got it. But never thought to check the mag tube!

Good thread!