Texas Grips ‘Extended’ Single Action Revolver Grips

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
Sarge
250 Shots
250 Shots

Texas Grips ‘Extended’ Single Action Revolver Grips

Post by Sarge »

Guys with medium and larger hands have been tucking their little finger under the handle of their single action revolvers since the introduction of Colt’s Navy Model. This isn’t a big problem with early Navy-gripped blackpowder and cartridge revolvers—and their modern clones—owing to their light weight and relatively mild recoil.

The later, heavy frame Blackhawk & Vaquero can be a chore to handle using this two-finger grip; especially with ‘Ruger/Contender’ loads. The previous fix required a Ruger Super Blackhawk, Hunter or Bisley grip frame, fitting it to your frame, refinishing as necessary and then buying a set of grips to match. With Ruger factory grip frames well over a hundred bucks (when you can find them) this can be a fairly expensive proposition.

Texas Grips offers an alternative in their extended grips for Ruger single action revolvers. At 1/2 inch longer than standard grips and with a proportional flare at the butt, it offers a Dragoon sized grip that preserves the plow-handle profile. The owner, Henry Lance offers these grips in a number of attractive hardwoods and laminates, but Mesquite got the nod for my old Vaquero.

More at: http://www.thesixgunjournal.net/texas-g ... ver-grips/
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Texas Grips ‘Extended’ Single Action Revolver Grips

Post by Archer »

Nice,

I've recently managed to get the SA bug and I've been wondering exactly what my options are.
I like the way the Bisley feels but Ruger has all but discontinued them for everything except the heavy hunters or select overpriced Lipsey/Talo special editions in calibers I have little to no interest in.

I've got a couple of the local shops alerted to the fact that I'm on the prowl for a .44 Mag in a Bisley frame with at least a 5" barrel but who knows if or when one will pop up and I'm on a two and a half month waiting cycle due to this silly posterior state's one dealer handgun a month crapola.
Sarge
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Texas Grips ‘Extended’ Single Action Revolver Grips

Post by Sarge »

Thanks Archer. After shooting & carrying this gun for a week with the extended grip, I can say for certain any Ruger that live here is going to get a set. Like you I looked around for a Bisley (45 in my case) and found used ones priced about like new ones, when you can find them. I've got the Vaquero dialed in with my most used loads and the new handles are working so well, I've quit looking for a Bisley.