Specific questions on the latest 1892 Rossi 44mag

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
trekker

Specific questions on the latest 1892 Rossi 44mag

Post by trekker »

Hi Folks, here in Australia we recieved some shipments of the latest Rossi lever action 92's and I just wanted to check if anything had changed( since when? I don't know, just generally) . Some of the questions I had were.

1. Our distributors are also calling these Rossi 92 models '175', anyone know what that mean or heard of that?
2. Rossi has had bore diametres all the way to .434 I hear but someone said more recent Rossi 44 mags slug at .429 and I was wondering if that sounds about right still?
3. How heavy cast bullets can the 1:30 twist handle? Can I run 240 grain with reasonable expectation of stability?
A general question, anyone have luck running 44special through their 44 mag?

Thanks, I am researching these questions different ways, but figured asking at a Rossi forum might be a good start :)
trekker

Re: Specific questions on the latest 1892 Rossi 44mag

Post by trekker »

Just heard there are chamber sizing problems with some of the 44 mags, cases separating? Something to do with the company moving to a new plant. Hope its not a case of Marlin De ja vu...
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

trekker wrote: A general question, anyone have luck running 44special through their 44 mag?
I run 44 Spl much more often than mag, and have never had a lick of trouble.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

1. The 175 must have been decided on by the importer or distributor.
  2. My 2012 44 Mag has a .420" bore and .4285 groove. These measurements are from slugging the barrel.
  3. I shoot a 250, 275, and 300-grain cast bullet from my rifle. I've not had an issue with the stability, but my rifle is used for hunting and I push what I shoot hard.
  4. I have no experience with the 44 Spl.
  5. With the split case reports I would want to view images of the case and chamber. The offending rifle might have had the chambered relieved to improve cartridge feed. We have seen Rossi and owners cut a ramp at the 6 o'clock position of the chamber rather than take the time to adjust the cartridge guides. Spent cases will have a bulge in one spot on the web. Glock pistols are noted for this as they have a very unsupported chamber to insure feed is always positive.
Michael
rondog
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by rondog »

Ranch Dog wrote:We have seen Rossi and owners cut a ramp at the 6 o'clock position of the chamber rather than take the time to adjust the cartridge guides.
How does one "adjust the cartridge guides"?
trekker

Post by trekker »

Thanks Ranch dog, very informative!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

rondog wrote:
Ranch Dog wrote:We have seen Rossi and owners cut a ramp at the 6 o'clock position of the chamber rather than take the time to adjust the cartridge guides.
How does one "adjust the cartridge guides"?
Slowly!

Here is how I did it on my 357 Mag: R92 Fix when Rifle Not Accepting Full Length Cartridges

The big mistake is adjusting anything but the aft edge of the rim cutout. Don't work on anything forward. Maintain the angle of the flat, move it slowly aft, and equally on both sides.
Michael