Bolt stuck closed after removing pin

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Bolt stuck closed after removing pin

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Loctite makes several “retaining compounds” for interference fits.
73gitane

Post by 73gitane »

Yeah I'm leaning towards the purple loctite.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Those are the ejector spring stop pins. Nice find. As much as the ejector is worked against the spring, you might want to see if you can find a better fitting pin stock. Heck, maybe an old allen wrench, cut twice to the appropriate length that would fit tighter than your pins.
Michael
Conformist

Post by Conformist »

73gitane wrote:OK, I think I found the cause this time! There's a couple pins on the bolt that retains the thingy that hooks the extractor spring collar. Sorry I don't know the proper name but here's a picture showing the bolt with the pins partially out:
ejector pins.jpg
Here's a picture showing the bolt jammed by the pins hitting the guide (lifter has been removed):
pins hitting guide.jpg
And, here is a picture of the guide showing the pins hitting on the hinge edge of the guide. You can see evidence of the pins rubbing across the guide as the bolt moves.
guide pin hit.jpg
Both pins have an opportunity to hit on the edge of the guide and jamming the gun. This explains why sometimes I could open the action about an 1/8" and other times a little more (the distance of the second pin). If the pins can make it past the abrupt edge of the guide hinge then they seem to do fine along the more gentle curves of the guide.

I have never removed these pins so I was surprised they drifted out. I assumed they were pressed in from the factory. Has anyone else noticed theirs drifting out on their own?

So how do I lock these pins in place? Ping them with a punch or get bigger pins? Is it common to have pins that drift on their own?

I'm beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel:^)
The pages numbered 18 and 19 in this link provide an exploded view of the rifle parts and the "official" name for each part. Are you talking about part numbers 29 and 86?
http://www.rossiusa.com/pdf/rossi_manual_M92.pdf

Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete. Rod Serling

Our people are to be so equipped that governmental protection of our freedoms is not necessary.
73gitane

Post by 73gitane »

Thanks for the great link! Most drawings I have come across including the manual that came with the gun are fuzzy and unfocused and impossible to read.

Nope, not 29 and 86. Parts 30 and 31 caused the big headache; the ejector stop pins. What made this problem so difficult for me to find was that by the time I was able to force the action open the pins were pressed back into position as they moved past the smooth valley of the guide. It wasn't till I was able to jam up the action with the lifter removed that I was able to see the pins hitting against the hinge edge of the left guide. I'm a little curious why it seems this is a relatively rare problem. At least I have not been able to find another instance. It seems like the potential is there for this to happen to others.

I'm tempted to glue these pins back in for eternity with red loctite. I don't see the need to ever remove the ejector spring stop.
Conformist

Post by Conformist »

Before I started using loctite or such, if the rifle is still under warranty, I'd contact the place where you purchased it, or Rossi in Florida, and ask if Rossi will make it right by replacing either the pins (#31) or the breech bolt (#25) because one or both of those parts in your rifle do not appear to be properly manufactured.

Here is a photo with the customer service phone number, if you don't already have it.
Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete. Rod Serling

Our people are to be so equipped that governmental protection of our freedoms is not necessary.
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Well this has been an epic ! Those pins should have been center punched on the edges so they would not "free float".
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
73gitane

Post by 73gitane »

They were knurled at one end but that didn't keep them in place. After some searching I found a post from Nate Kiowa Jones on another forum suggesting inserting the pin half way and then hitting from the side to put a slight bow in the pin. Then when fully inserted the tension from the bow will keep it nice and snug in place.

That seems to make a lot of sense. I might just give that a go.
73gitane

Post by 73gitane »

I put a bow in both pins using two pliers. They now have a very snug fit and I don't see them coming out again. Put it all back together and as much as I try I can not get it to jam. I think this chapter is behind me.

Thanks to all!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Good job, I learned something here!
Michael