CZ 527 carbine Q's

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: CZ 527 carbine Q's

Post by Ranch Dog »

Here is a good example on GunBroker: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/813385288
Michael
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Mad Trapper »

I wish Lee had made the classic hand loader for 7.62x39

A friend of mine has a SKS, it is his only rifle and he wants to start reloading, and he wants to put together a small portable reload kit that can be easily carried around.

I had this lee mold that i bought sometime back, was going to try single loads in the 30-30.
gave it to him to get him started.
C312-155

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/75295 ... -gas-check

Told him, about the only portable reloading setup for 7.62x39 would be a Lee hand press with a set of dies.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/74080 ... -3-die-set
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/65061 ... -press-kit
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Mad Trapper »

Ranch Dog wrote:Here is a good example on GunBroker: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/813385288
Now I do like that.
Talk about the perfect woods rifle, thats it.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

The Savage 340 was my first rifle, I was very young but kids started hunting at single digit ages here in South Texas. I've owned three 340s, the are good rifles.

Here is a comparison on the 30-30 (170-grain bullet) & 7.62x39 (150-grain).

My current 340, a super rifle.

Michael
alphalimafoxtrot

Post by alphalimafoxtrot »

That is "good data" you present, Michael - always providing the real-world evidence to back up the "gun theory" as usual! +guns

Man, every time you provide me with more information I always end up adding yet ANOTHER gun or gun idea to my never-ending wish list!!! +corn

I have to say, that I am for all means a "babe in the woods" when it comes to the gun knowledge compared to most of you all here - but besides coming back (as I can) to educate myself about the lever guns, reloading, and so much more I really feel like this is one of the friendliest and safest places to spend time chatting about hobbies and pretty much anything.

I have the .30 Rem/.30 Win Lee Loader, which I originally bought (as well as a .32 Rem/.32 Win kit) for my Remington Model 8, Model 14 and several 81 autoloaders. This loader then became my entry point into the .30-30 lever gun arena, which oddly enough has not yet happened - my two levers are .357 Rossi and .35 Rem Marlin. (I have Lee Loaders for those calibers too.) I have been distracted by injury and disability for a bit of the past year, so now as I climb out of THAT hole I can begin thinking of inexpensive rifle or pistol acquisition once more - and I have now Savage 340's (and Stevens 425's, but that's another story) on my lists!

If I watch the GB auctions long enough I sometimes get lucky. The 7.62x39 CZ 527's are cresting upwards of 600 in the flavor I like, the iron sighted carbine, but with the other .30-30's on my watch list they are more likely for me in the near term.

Sorry for the ramble, it is a bit before work and that is the only time I get to post most days - or the weekends!

I will finish up by saying that Michael (Ranch Dog) and his twin forums RR and LL have been a Godsend during and after my two shoulder surgeries. Kept me interested in positive mindset, and not the negatives during rehab!

Be well all and happy hunting, shooting, or collecting your guns!

Adam :roll:
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Thanks for your kind words Adam, I do understand first hand what you have gone through.

Given your location and how you travel with wife, dogs, and truck; don't forget to continually check local gun stores if you are interested in the 340. I bet more were sold on your side of the Country than anywhere else. Also, I use Google searches to find and look at gun stores that list an inventory.

LeRoy Wisner's "Stevens 325 and Savage 340 Bolt Action Rifle" is the go-to source for information on the 340 and variations of that rifle. At the bottom of that page is a link to 340 gunsmithing that a great read as well.

Back to the 7.62x39. Here is what I'm shooting out of my Savage 10FCM Scout. Despite it looking like a missile, it isn't. It takes a bunch of pressure to run it at 2350 FPS. Something that a 30-30 Win can do easy.

In that, the Savage has a .308" groove and .300" bore, there is a bit more leade length in the throat getting down to those diameters. That allows the 150-grain bullet to be seated slightly out so that the base of the bullet is at the bottom of the neck and doesn't compromise case capacity.

With the Savage and its barrel diameters, I can use my TLC310-310-165 which I designed for the 300 Savage. It shoots very well, and I prefer it over the Speer when hunting with the rifle/cartridge.

I hate to add all this to the 7.62x39, but it has always been strange to me to spend the money that the 527 will demand with the sole reason being that it can shoot cheap ammo. If you want to shoot cheap ammo, buy a cheap gun too.
Michael
alphalimafoxtrot

Post by alphalimafoxtrot »

Ranch Dog wrote: Given your location and how you travel with wife, dogs, and truck; don't forget to continually check local gun stores if you are interested in the 340. I bet more were sold on your side of the Country than anywhere else. Also, I use Google searches to find and look at gun stores that list an inventory.
good advice! I'm on it!

LeRoy Wisner's "Stevens 325 and Savage 340 Bolt Action Rifle" is the go-to source for information on the 340 and variations of that rifle. At the bottom of that page is a link to 340 gunsmithing that a great read as well.
this makes for great reading - Wisner's articles are a treat!

I hate to add all this to the 7.62x39, but it has always been strange to me to spend the money that the 527 will demand with the sole reason being that it can shoot cheap ammo. If you want to shoot cheap ammo, buy a cheap gun too.
RD, you finally got the nail on the coffin for my interest in getting a CZ 527 for the price I want and the caliber
combination I want. Too much dough for a 7.62x39 but if I were to be in fancy of many other calibers it would be a steal. Even so, now I have shifted my gears back into .30-30 land again...and the journey continues! Thanks for your contributions. They are helping me in my considerations!

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.