broken screw question

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
ddj

broken screw question

Post by ddj »

Was getting ready to remove the forearn from my 20" blued round barreled 92 and noticed the screw that goes through the front barrel band was broken and missing. The screw head and a little more than half the shaft was gone. the rest of the screw is in there and doing its job of holding the mag tube. Was going to re-finish the gun. Don't know how or when that happened. Anyone have any slick tricks on how to remove the rest of that thin screw? Right now I'm thinking that I'll just leave the gun the way it is.
Dave
Nashville Stage

Re: broken screw question

Post by Nashville Stage »

Here are a couple of ideas to ponder through:

- Drill or cut out the remains of the threaded end of the screw, then throw it and the barrel band away. Buy a replacement barrel band and screw. If you can find the replacement parts for a reasonable price, this is probably the least time-intensive option.

- Drill out the old screw & threads as above, then find a replacement screw with larger threads. Tap the now enlarged hole for the larger thread of the new screw. You'd likely also need to enlarge the countersink on the other side of the barrel band to accommodate the larger head of the new screw.

- If there's enough of the threaded end of the screw protruding beyond the face of the barrel band, cut a thin slot across the screw, then use a small flat blade screwdriver to unscrew it.

- Using progressively larger drill bits, a center-punch, and (ideally) a drill press, drill a hole in the center of the screw from the threaded/exposed end. Make the final hole only about 3/4 of the diameter of the screw threads, so you don't accidentally cut the threads in the barrel band. Drive a square-edged punch or a small screw into the hole & use that to apply rotation to unscrew the broken part.

I realize the barrel band screw is tiny, and there's a good chance the threads are seized (after all, the screw snapped in half). Heat, penetrating oil, and patience will help.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Very common problem but the thread pitch is not common.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
dlidster

Post by dlidster »

ddj

Post by ddj »

Thanks for the replies. I thought about drilling it out but doing so would probably ruin the threads. Finding another barrel band I think would be like looking for that needle in a haystack kind of thing. More work than I care to do. The refinishing was kind of a spur of the moment thing. And dlidster thanks for the Jack's link although his parts are pretty much 357 specific and mine is 45 Colt. I am however looking for another 45 Colt Rossi. If anyone can help me out there :D
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

Have you tried to contact Rossi USA?
They're pretty good about getting parts. They usually have to order them from Brazil and they ship via Row boat, one part at a time but they should be able to get you what you need.

It's been a while since I've ordered, if you check out their web page during normal hours they have "live chat" with customer service. It makes it easier to order parts. I'm not sure if they have this anymore...