Finish question

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
ddj

Finish question

Post by ddj »

I've had my Rossi for 6 years now and still haven't lost any of my fondness for it. Its had the action work done to it and I even stripped off the old finish and re-finished it. It looks nice. However I want something more authentic looking,. Tapaderas Winchesters was selling the original Winchester stain but I did not get around to ordering it and now their web site doesn't come up. Does anyone know if that stain is available else where? Thanks
Dave
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: Finish question

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Google Winchester stock stain and see if any of those will do you.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Iplayfarmer

Post by Iplayfarmer »

Midway has this one...

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10064 ... -oz-liquid

I haven't used it, but the reviews are pretty good on it.

Is there something unique about the Tapaderas finish?
dlidster

Post by dlidster »

These are quicky snapshots, but they will give some idea of what I've achieved on my R92. I used Fiebing's Leather Dye -- five parts Dark Brown, one part Oxblood. Unlike stains that actually cover the wood, dyes change the color of the the wood so the figure (if there is any) and grain show through.

There are lots of wood dyes on the market, but I'm familiar with Fiebing's leather dyes. And, to be honest, I had a couple of bottles on hand. I'm not certain if I've duplicated any historical colors, but the stock is reminiscent of many old guns I've seen and handled.

(Note: The two portions of the stock are a closer visual match than what shows up in the photos.)

kaycee

Post by kaycee »

I love the look ! Awesome job
Kevin
________
20" SS 92 - .357 Mag
20" SS 92 - .44 Mag
20" SS 92 - .45 LC
20" SS 92 - .454 Casull
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

That finish looks really nice ... it looks like the old finish/color I'm used to seeing from around/near the turn of the last century.

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
ddj

Post by ddj »

Thanks for all the replies. I had an earlier reply that apparently didn't make it or disappeared. I've done all the research and I'll come up with something. Dlidster-that's the look that I'm after. The rifle looks great. Thanks for the pics.
Dave
dlidster

Post by dlidster »

The Fiebing"s Dyes are available at Tandy Leather stores or on line. When I said 5:1 of Dark Brown:Oxblood, I meant roughly. I just eyeballed it and tested. Go ahead and play with it. The only way you can screw up is by adding too much Ox Blood.

https://www.tandyleather.com/en/search/ ... %27s%20dye
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Pricey is correct. To get one 4 oz. container of each color is $30 to my door because none of the budget retailers have the oxblood color.

Oh wait...I was looking at Fiebing's leather STAIN. The dye costs less, roughly $15 to get one 4 oz. container of each color off Amazon or eBay.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I thought I had some pics posted of a current stock project but I can't find them. I will start a new topic so y'all can see how well the Fiebing's Leather Dye works.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.