M92 357/38 Rough looking chamber and possible bulging brass

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Conformist

M92 357/38 Rough looking chamber and possible bulging brass

Post by Conformist »

I've been examining my fired brass and I have some questions. I can see a crescent shaped bulge in the GECO 357 casings. I included some unfired rounds for comparison. It looks like the bulge matches up with the "ditch" just ahead of the feed ramp in my rifle. In addition, the feed ramp looks kind of rough. Are these things normal or do I have a defective M92? I'd appreciate any thoughts on whether or not this is a problem.

chamber and feed ramp

8X magnification

Can you see the "ditch" just ahead of the feed ramp?

Brass photos

the blackened brass is 38 SPL
Last edited by Conformist on 13 Mar 2019 06:49, edited 1 time in total.
Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete. Rod Serling

Our people are to be so equipped that governmental protection of our freedoms is not necessary.
GasGuzzler

Re: M92 357/38 Rough looking chamber and possible bulging br

Post by GasGuzzler »

I was hoping we wouldn't see another one of these.

In the past we've come to the realization a Brazilian Bubba ground the crap out of some of the .357s to get them to feed instead of adjusting the guides.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Exactly what GG said. It tended to be RossiUSA fix for feed issues rather than the time-consuming effort of adjusting the cartridge guides. In all fairness to Rossi, I lot of users have buggered their rifles doing the same.

Is your rifle new or used? If new, how old is it (serial number lookup)?
Michael
Conformist

Post by Conformist »

Ranch Dog wrote:Exactly what GG said. It tended to be RossiUSA fix for feed issues rather than the time-consuming effort of adjusting the cartridge guides. In all fairness to Rossi, I lot of users have buggered their rifles doing the same.

This is a new rifle I just bought from KY Gun Co.
Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete. Rod Serling

Our people are to be so equipped that governmental protection of our freedoms is not necessary.
Sarge
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Sarge »

Conformist wrote:
Ranch Dog wrote:Exactly what GG said. It tended to be RossiUSA fix for feed issues rather than the time-consuming effort of adjusting the cartridge guides. In all fairness to Rossi, I lot of users have buggered their rifles doing the same.

I'd contact KY Gun first. They essentially sold you an unsafe rifle and they might refund or exchange it to avoid liability. The rifle needs rebarreled to be safe to shoot.

This is not something either they or you would notice on initial inspection. The rifle had to be fired for the problem to become apparent.

If that fails, take it up with the importer.
Conformist

Post by Conformist »

Sarge wrote:
Conformist wrote:

I'd contact KY Gun first. They essentially sold you an unsafe rifle and they might refund or exchange it to avoid liability. The rifle needs rebarreled to be safe to shoot.

This is not something either they or you would notice on initial inspection. The rifle had to be fired for the problem to become apparent.

If that fails, take it up with the importer.
Thank you Sarge, and everyone else. I sent some photos in an email to KY Gun Co. this morning. I hope this can be resolved and that I will not be out of luck on my purchase.

rondog
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by rondog »

Good luck to you sir! That's a real %@*&$ for sure.
Nashville Stage

Post by Nashville Stage »

Most likely, you'll need to contact Rossi & send it back to them for repair. The retailers that I've bought from all explicitly state that once you accept a firearm & complete the transfer, you need to deal with the manufacturer directly on warranty claims. The way that firearms laws are written, the retailer couldn't accept it back as a return without doing another transfer, anyway.
Conformist

Post by Conformist »

I received an email from the seller: " Our purchaser has been contacted regarding this issue and a call tag will be sent to you soon from the manufacturer." I guess that might mean a return label?

Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Conformist wrote:I received an email from the seller: " Our purchaser has been contacted regarding this issue and a call tag will be sent to you soon from the manufacturer." I guess that might mean a return label?
I think it would mean a return label. I hope the return period is short.
Michael