Loose barrel on cowboy 357.

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
black 1970

Loose barrel on cowboy 357.

Post by black 1970 »

Put a stainless follower in my Rossi 92 with 24 inch octagon barrel just now and noticed that the barrel is a tad loose. I can wiggle it just a small amount clockwise and counter clockwise. How do I tighten it up? Rifle is stainless 357. Thanks.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: Loose barrel on cowboy 357.

Post by mr surveyor »

To me (obviously not a gunsmith .... definitely untrained), it looks like a job for a competent gunsmith. First I can imagine a problem with sight indexing, although the most minor issue. Mainly I can see an issue with headspace that can cause some major problems. Then, there is the problem of clocking the barrel and causing the extractor groove to be an issue .... and an issue with the forward mag tube retainer screw indent in the barrel.

Just my untrained guess, but I'd imagine the least costly fix (given the clocking of the barrel is aligned) would be an extremely thin washer/shim installed between the barrel and receiver - just enough to eliminate any play, but still allow proper clocking.

I'm probably just babbling ....

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
black 1970

Post by black 1970 »

Thanks for the reply. I might try your suggestion.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Sorry to hear but I'm will surveyor.
Michael
black 1970

Post by black 1970 »

After making a spacer I perceived the barrel was set out too far for the firing pin to obtain reliable ignition. So I did what I have done a number of times with JB Quick. Cleaned the barrel and receiver threads of all solvent and oil and applied JB Quick to the last half of the threads and installed the barrel. I will report on my success or failure in the near future. If that does not work I will just have to fall back on my Puma 92 case colored with 24 inch octagon barrel in 44-40 with a marbles tang sight.
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

I used Lock Tight on a loose Roller Barrel and it is still very firmly attached… 25 years at least. 45-70.
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
Iplayfarmer

Post by Iplayfarmer »

black 1970 wrote:... I will report on my success or failure in the near future...
Please do.

I have almost the identical issue with my rifle. I haven't done anything with it yet as it shoots great for me, but there's that little nagging voice in my head saying I should really fix it.