Revolver powders

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Revolver powders

Post by golfish »

9x80Drilling wrote:golfish, no worries on using an RCBS press. My bench has two "green presses" set up on it, both a Reloader Special from 1972 and a Partner from the 90s. I prime with a basic C style Lee press. Nearly all the dozens of dies I use are Lee, however.
I did get the Lee 4 die set for 38/357. This seemed to be the best way to go. I'm hoping my son will get into it, at least learn how. It will be nice to have his young eyes double check my charges.
mikld

Post by mikld »

Welcome to the wonderful, often frustrating and confusing world of reloading. Before you buy anymore components, find a load in your manual(s) first. I believe Unique is prolly the slowest powder I'd recommend for the 38 Special as I've reloaded thousands of rounds (tens of thousands?) with Bullseye and W231. I don't have/use any powders that work in both rifle and pistol reloading, although there are some, (there are rifle and pistol loads for some cartridges in my manuals if that is what you were asking; 38/357, 44 Spec./Mag. 45 Colt) and I would suggest you start with a tried and true load (158 gr. lead bullet over some Bullseye is a "classic" load). Use the data in your manual(s) and don't pay a lot of attention to any forum expert range rat, gun counter clerk, pet loads website or gun shop guru for any load data. Your manuals will provide you with safe, accurate load data for many years...

Go slow, double check everything, and most important, have fun...
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

mikld wrote:Welcome to the wonderful, often frustrating and confusing world of reloading. .
It's pretty confusing, that's for sure. I'll be looking for some more manuals tomorrow at the local reloading shop. It's hard to find the exact bullet for the info I have, or the info for the bullets I have.

I have everything I need to get started, I'm still looking for the right load/s. Think I'll start with 38sp using Unique for the SA revolvers and move on to 357 using 2400 for the 3 rifles.

Thanks for the help.
mikld

Post by mikld »

For starters, if you shoot lead bullets, get a Lyman 50th or Cast Bullet Handbook. If you shoot jacketed bullets, get a manual published by the bullet manufacturer. There are a couple "generic" manuals out there, but the data is often vague (I have a Lee manual, but it's the last I look at, after 3 or four others)...
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

mikld wrote:For starters, if you shoot lead bullets, get a Lyman 50th or Cast Bullet Handbook. If you shoot jacketed bullets, get a manual published by the bullet manufacturer. There are a couple "generic" manuals out there, but the data is often vague (I have a Lee manual, but it's the last I look at, after 3 or four others)...

I DL the Lyman 3rd last night. The local hand loading shop has the 50th for reference. The best load (for me) that I have found was on Alliants site.

I found the best little reloading shop. No pressure from the state and prices equal to the web..its called Phillips wholesale in Covina Ca. Lots of good manuls to look through, they have em all played out.
Rifletom

Post by Rifletom »

Well golfish, told you I was going to join here. Here I be! We'll get the .357 loads worked out. This site really is a good one; lots of "know how" shooters here. I've typed with "mikld" on another site, he knows a thing or two on loading. Glad you pointed me towards this site. Joined this morning. We'll be talking.
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

You'll fit in very well here Tom. Most of the guys here have forgotten more about leverguns and reloading than I'll ever know.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Welcome to the forum Rifle!
Michael
Rifletom

Post by Rifletom »

Thanks fellas.Yeah, Mark[golfish] and I and another shooter have been going out to the desert to shoot our lever rifles lately, and golfish has taken a keen interest in our handloads and became interested. Between the three of us, we have, I believe eleven lever rifle's. We kinda stay busy out there! Lever fun stuff. Pick up my .45 Henry on Mon[the 21st] . Can't wait.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I was going to comment on this last week but I think even back then you guys had it covered pretty well.