Saddle Ring

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Saddle Ring

Post by Ranch Dog »

One night late in the summer, I was climbing into tower blind for a late night sit with my 480 Ruger. While going up the ladder, the saddle ring staple pulled out of the receiver. Luckily, while about 10 feet of the ground, I caught the rifle.

I had added the saddle ring myself back when I acquired the rifle as I have little use for a rifle in the pasture that cannot ride a sling. I installed one on my 454 Casull as well and I use a proper saddle ring sling to carry the firearm. The staple is held in from the pressure of the staple. You compress it slightly which is tough and punch it through the holes. You can peen it slightly on the inside, but they usually are flush.

Typical for me, I pondered the situation for weeks and when I had plenty of time I jumped right in. I decided to cut a notch in the wire at the end of each staple so that JB Weld would have a greater surface to secure the staple in place. So far so good, used it enough to trust it.

Unfortunately, when the staple let go, it left a light scratch on the side of the receiver. You can see it extending up from the top radius of the ring.

Michael
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Saddle Ring

Post by Mad Trapper »

that looks real good RD.
It should hold for sure.
squidsix

Re: Saddle Ring

Post by squidsix »

Looks good. I left the staple but cut the ring out, and use a traditional sling in its place after seeing another one open up. My .357 is only 32 inches tip to tail, so maybe I just need to look for a big honkin holster for it haha!