FireField NVRS 3x42

Maximizing the performance of your Rossi firearm.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: FireField NVRS 3x42

Post by Ranch Dog »

mr surveyor wrote:how long would the gongs stay at a high enough temp if you were to heat them up with a propane torch?
No idea JD, but I would not want the open flame out there as sure as chit the brush would be on fire. Could see through the scope then :o

The hand warmer pack work well enough to get it done. I didn't get to shoot last night. I need ammo and didn't get it reloaded yesterday. Have family visiting but I'm up early to take care of that.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Back in business with a short range session last night. Yesterday, my wife went into town and checked our PO Box and the replacement screws for the GG&G base were in the box. I went ahead and installed that base as it is a bit lower and moves the scope further back. It is also windage adjustable, which I like. I do everything I can to keep the reticle centered in the tube once done.

No doubt I caused the miss the other night. With the turret caps off, I mistook the windage adjustment for the reticle intensity, and I probably missed that hog by 5' at the 100-yards.

I centered everything up with a laser. You must do this with the exit bell's flip cover in place. It has a pin hole in it for this specific purpose. Looking down range at the reflection of the laser on the background and damage your eye and the scope.

All is corrected though. Three shots at a paper target at 25-yards and then a shot each at the hand warmers on the 50 & 100-yard gongs. I used two hand warmers on the 100-yard gong, and it stood out.

I haven't had a real clear night with moon illumination, but I did last night. The passive view through the scope is amazing! With my eye now in the rubber cup, the fisheye view at the outer edge of the view is gone. Off after hogs tonight!
Michael
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

Ranch Dog wrote:
mr surveyor wrote:how long would the gongs stay at a high enough temp if you were to heat them up with a propane torch?
No idea JD, but I would not want the open flame out there as sure as chit the brush would be on fire. Could see through the scope then :o

The hand warmer pack work well enough to get it done. I didn't get to shoot last night. I need ammo and didn't get it reloaded yesterday. Have family visiting but I'm up early to take care of that.

I fully understand the grass fire issue ... I spent enough time working a college demonstration farm in the 1970's using a Lincoln welder and torch. We a lot of steel gates, fence corner posts, feeders, etc, that required lots of attention. That would make you very aware of the danger issue. My thought was using a small, hand held propane torch to bring the steel gongs up to 150°-175°, below the grass "flash point", and give it a go. The steel would most likely hold the heat (at least as much as a hand warmer) for a couple of shots, and shouldn't be a real issue if the vegetation was kept clear of the gong in at least a 10 foot working radius.

just a thought

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I hear you JD, but I still think the hand warmers work very well.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Went back out last night, sat from dark to 10 pm. I sat on a food plot with a feeder 100-yards in the brush line surrounding the food plot. There is also a sendero with a food plot that crosses the food plot and continues out of sight over the hill about 300 yards distant. A lot of deer and foxes the first hour and then it went dead until 10 when I say something small approaching from the out far on the sendero. It was a fox coming head on and passed through the brush to the feeder. From 150+ yards it was very easy to follow and keep the crosshairs on the animal.

It was a clear, cold night with a full moon. It was almost too bright through the passive view. As the temperature dropped in the 40s, I did notice that I needed to turn the power on and off, all the devices, after about 20 minutes. So I stuck one monocular inside my jacket against my body, and it didn't need to be excited further.

I dumped all the images from all the cameras this morning, I haven't had a hog on my place since I missed the first one. I would have like to have connected on the hog but NV has met my immediate goal; to deny hogs the night on my property. They will be back, I will run my download my cameras daily.
Michael