JB's Swamp Donkey

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

JB's Swamp Donkey

Post by Ranch Dog »

One of my favorite hunters and I sat a stand on the lower end of a creek last night and this 9 year old, J. B. Baker, took his 4th whitetail!
JB_Swamp_Donkey.jpg
Earlier in the year I saw this old gal down in the bottom and I'm not sure I've never seen a deer this old in the field. I gave her the name of "Swamp Donkey" and she became a target for one of the permits because of her age. Here teeth were worn to the gum line so severally that the jaw was being reshaped from the grinding which formed quite an under bit. for one reason or another she had lost control of her right ear and it just flopped straight down.

JB has turned in to quite the levergun hunter. His dad bought him a Marlin 336Y and I reload ammo for him which he will take over this year. He uses my C311-170-RF with a reduced load of Varget (30-grains) for 1850 FPS. The load mirrors 357 Mag performance.

Next Sunday we are going to try for whitetail #5.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: JB's Swamp Donkey

Post by pricedo »

The young fellow did the old doe a favor putting her out of her misery.
I hope the recipients of the meat have good teeth.........even the gravy will be tough with a deer that old.
Back when I was a kid my uncle shot a cow moose that was so old the hair was grey........we wound up boiling the meat and feeding it to the half dozen blue tick hounds we used back then to drive deer and moose into the tree stands and ground blinds......even when ground up the "mooseburger" from that geriatric cow moose was grainy........inedible.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA