How bad is it to shoot .38 in m92 .357 chambers?

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
RAINS42

How bad is it to shoot .38 in m92 .357 chambers?

Post by RAINS42 »

I've got a stainless 16' m92 on the way. Having trouble finding .357 mag brass or ammo. I will use this gun for HD/hiking so for carry I will pack hot .357 mag ammo in it. For pinking though I can still get 38spl brass/live rounds. How hard is it to clean the chamber after firing say 200 cast lead .38's in there? And long term will I have chamber issues doing this?

P.S. I'll post pics of the gun when it arrives! It's my winter project.

R
Wills Point Pete

Re: How bad is it to shoot .38 in m92 .357 chambers?

Post by Wills Point Pete »

It's the same thing as shooting .38s in a .357 revolver, if you don't let the gunk build up and harden into a granite like obstuction, you're golden. Try to use bullets with a RN or RNFP profile. The cheapest 158 RN lead alloy bullets should work fine. Get you a Boresnake, drop the string from the chamber to the muzzle, wet the front of the boresnake with some Hoppes or Butch's Bore Shine, drag it through a couple of times and the gunk is all gone from the front of the chamber, oh, and your barrel is clean. Run a dry patch and an oil patch and, you're done.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

The nice thing about S.A handguns is you can remove the cylinder and soak it to help remove the biuldup in the throat of the chambers. I reload so I cheat and load .38 special loads into my .357 mag cases there is sure to be some pressure issues that I am not aware of with the larger case capacity but I would think it would be so little I have been doing this a long tim to keep this biuldup from happening in my .357 guns. Never an issue but shooting slower speed bullets anyways no issue for my plinking fun. rifle or handguns.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
RAINS42

Post by RAINS42 »

Ok cool I'll get a bore snake and run it threw right after I finish shooting .38's. At the very least I'll soak the barrel/bore in brakefree for later cleaning. I'll start off with a few .38's now just because 357mag brass is hard to get now. As I build up a stockpile of it I'll go over to loading only 357 brass.