Looking for a bullet for a Rossi 92 heavier than 250 gr

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Looking for a bullet for a Rossi 92 heavier than 250 gr

Post by Rooster59 »

I hear you about the use at my own risk......

This is a 16" barrel so I am pretty darn surprised at the FPS numbers. With the 19.5gr that's almost 1400 ft lbs of energy at the muzzle. Wow.
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Rooster59 wrote:I hear you about the use at my own risk......

This is a 16" barrel so I am pretty darn surprised at the FPS numbers. With the 19.5gr that's almost 1400 ft lbs of energy at the muzzle. Wow.
If you can chronograph your work I would be interested in seeing how accurate the forecast is. Temperature is very important and I ran this at 70°, a default I set up in QL. Usually, The standard atmosphere of internal ballistic calculations is 59°. So if you record data, note the temperature as well.
Michael
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

Not sure I really wanted to go to 26.0KPS. We'll see how the first two loads perform and make a call on the 19.5gr load.
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

Ranch Dog wrote:
Rooster59 wrote:I hear you about the use at my own risk......

If you can chronograph your work I would be interested in seeing how accurate the forecast is. Temperature is very important and I ran this at 70°, a default I set up in QL. Usually, The standard atmosphere of internal ballistic calculations is 59°. So if you record data, note the temperature as well.
I don't have a chronograph but my levergun buddy does. I thought I would run a few of each through the timer and then shoot a few for accuracy testing. The first chance I'll get to go to the range here in east central Missouri will be early next week. Highs are forecast to be in the low to mid 40's. I guess I better take that into consideration if I want to shoot the same loads in July 2013.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Rooster59 wrote:I guess I better take that into consideration if I want to shoot the same loads in July 2013.
You are good to go with these, well below the 65.0 KPSI limit of the cartridge.
Michael
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

That's comforting. My buddy said the same thing but in reference to 44 pressures.

If the 19.5 grain range is a good shooter I'll probably stop there. The recoil is in the neighborhood of my 45-70 rifle and favorite load. Who needs more than 1500 ft lbs ME to drop a whitetail at 100 yds?! Not me.

Jeff
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

Well, a range trip today revealed the best group came with 19.5gr of 2400. But the recoil wasn't much to speak of. Granted I was bundled up like an eskimo to fend off the low 30's and a stiff wind so that helped. It didn't seem like it recoiled any more than my .357 Marlin.

I think I'll make a few in both 20.0 and 20.5gr and see what comes up. The primers in the 19.5gr cases looked the same as my 7.5gr Unique loads. Nice and rounded with no signs of any pressure at all.

Jeff
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

Finally got my own chrony with a Christmas gift card. Took the 92 to the range this morning with the next three steps in powder charge. I didn't try targets, just sending bullets carefully thru the uprights. Didn't want to hit the chrono on it's first outing!

The 22.0gr load gave an average of 1560 and a spread of only 30fps. No signs of pressure on the primers, extraction, etc. It's starting to develop noticeable recoil but nothing to keep me from shooting 100 in one session.

Not sure if there's any reason to investigate stronger charges, except to tweak for accuracy. That speed gives 1350 FPE at the muzzle with the Nosler .451 250HP.

Jeff