125 grain Round nose bullet for .357 rounds.

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
Just Dave

Re: 125 grain Round nose bullet for .357 rounds.

Post by Just Dave »

Made it out today to try the loads out. Unfortunately it started raining so my range day got cut short which bites because I have to drive 30 miles to get to a decent outdoor one. The rain was not really the issue as much as the lightning was. The 158 HP in front of 17 grains of Lil' gun is a satisfying round. Big Badda Boom! My 20" 92 has quite the kick with these. I wonder if the stock would be more comfortable without that curve cut in it? Think I will cut them back to about 15 grains for the next batch. No signs of over pressure though so I think they could be loaded even hotter if desired. Still doing baby steps though since this is all new to me. 18 grains was the recommended max on Hogdons load data.

It really is fun to shoot your own ammo and know what is in it though. I think I am hooked. Maybe someone will step in and answer some of my earlier questions about cast bullets as that seems like the logical next step. I have been doing a lot of reading on them but somehow its just not the same as straight up advice from someone that is currently doing it.

Anyway here is 30 rounds at 50 yards. Seems like I am consistently low and to the right a hair. Its all I can do to focus on an 8" target at 50 yards with these tired old eyes of mine so I am happy with the results. The rounds all cycled Flawlessly which was a nice surprise, I always worry about new ammo in this gun even though it is not giving me near the trouble that it did when it was right out of the box.

Seriously thinking about getting a 24" stainless one with the Octagon Barrel next. They sure are pretty.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Very nice shooting and very satisfying I bet in that you "rolled your own". Bullet casting takes it to a different level, along the same lines as reloading, just a different level. A good online handbook for the beginner is Cast Bullets For Beginner And Expert. What I would recommend that you work at the reloading a bit until you are completely comfortable with it and then start the bullet casting.

The R92 is a great series to work with in that the chambers are cut to the SAAMI spec and most of the molds available will work. There are a bunch of bullet casters on this forum, some fellows have been at it a long time.
Michael
Just Dave

Post by Just Dave »

Thanks for the link. Lots of good info on that one. I am about a third of the way through it already.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Just Dave wrote:Thanks for the link. Lots of good info on that one. I am about a third of the way through it already.
Oh Lord, you will be pouring before you know it!
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

yes that is very good link. I didn't even know some of this info so thanks R.D. always very informitive thank you.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
janoosh

Post by janoosh »

I love to shoot 110's over W296 in my 38/357 Puma for the speed and muzzle flash, but for real thump, I shoot 180 grn over H110 at near maximum load. Naturally, my gun, my load, your's is gonna be different. Start at the bottom and work up. For all day shooting, and easy on the pocket, I shoot MBC 125's and MBC 180's cast. Great boolits at a really good price. Just remember that with cast, Good Lube and measure your bore, and bigger than you think.
Just Dave

Post by Just Dave »

janoosh wrote:I love to shoot 110's over W296 in my 38/357 Puma for the speed and muzzle flash, but for real thump, I shoot 180 grn over H110 at near maximum load. Naturally, my gun, my load, your's is gonna be different. Start at the bottom and work up. For all day shooting, and easy on the pocket, I shoot MBC 125's and MBC 180's cast. Great boolits at a really good price. Just remember that with cast, Good Lube and measure your bore, and bigger than you think.
OK, thanks for the info on your favorite loads. I did try to cut back the Lil Gun to 15 gr behind the 158's and was really disappointed. I am not even gonna show y'all that target. :roll: Lets just say that there was lots of room left on the paper to be able to reuse it.
warnerwh

Post by warnerwh »

I'm happy to see that you are successful. Don't let one inaccurate load bug you. That's part of the fun is finding the right charge for your particular gun and it can vary a lot. You can make up loads going in .3 or .5 grain steps and see how that may affect accuracy. Different bullets will definitely act in a variety of ways and be off more than you might expect or at least that has been my experience.
grandad

Post by grandad »

Hi guys i am from australia and we may have a different slant on things.
photos were a bit blurry but did not look like they had a nice crimp rolled into a cannelure.
ammo will not likely cycle thru action unless it is, i have found you have to be pretty finicky setteing up your dies.
i shoot CLASR events here one event is 5 rounds in 15 seconds so everything has to go smoothly.
re lead i use 158g Magtech JHP. my loads are coming out the end at around 2000fps and there is no way
i would not get leading problems. you can not stop halfway thru to clean a barrel.
my 92 is a24" octagonal barrel can shoot under 1" at 50yds. under 1and a half at 100yds.
use around 2500 rounds a year.
lets know how you go.
Grandad