Newbie Here, With a M92 44 Feeding Issue/Questions

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Maj Dad

Newbie Here, With a M92 44 Feeding Issue/Questions

Post by Maj Dad »

Hi,
Just joined after picking up a new M92 44mag at the Shaw AFB BX last week & encountering a whole Rossi forum! Awesome site, more info than I can assimilate, and I hope I can pick up some help on the feeding problems I'm having. Actually, it doesn't feed at all, at least with Sierra 240 JHPs and Hornady 200 XTPs in new Rem brass. They pop out fine, but the angle of the cartridge on the lifter to the axis of the bore is such that it simply will not enter the chamber. I haven't tried forcing it with extreme pressure, but that shouldn't be necessary. I have searched here & found that disassembly/cleaning/slicking/lubing have helped others, but I am really not sure how that will affect feeding given the angle. I'm not unhappy with the action or other functioning, and will clean & slick it up in due time, but the feeding has got me bummed. It shoots very well - 2"-3" off sandbags @ 50 yds - and I really want to start working it out. If any of you guys have any suggestions (or words of encouragement) I would really appreciate it. I have a Winnie M92 44-40 mfg in 1906 that is slick as glass and feeds flawlessly, and I don't see why I cant get this Rossi to follow suit :evil:
Thanks in advance,
Cheers,
George J.
Maj, USAF, ret.
Member, SCV
Life Member VFW, DAV, TSRA and MOAA
Benefactor Member, NRA
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Newbie Here, With a M92 44 Feeding Issue/Questions

Post by akuser47 »

Sad but pretty common but for most it only takes a simple strip down and the cartridge carrier may have burrs that are causeing it to hang up and not position the round correctly. The machine marks all over the enternals can cause more friction if you at a min. just strip it to clean up the burrs and slag looking scrap metal that can be in some actions. More than not it solves most problems I cannot say for sure it will in your case but I hope so. Others will chime in as well.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Lognut04

Post by Lognut04 »

Before you tear it apart for the cleaning, deburring and polishing, check the cartridge guide clearance. I have the 92 in .44 mag and even after cleaning and deburring, mine would not load rounds in the chamber without a lot of fooling around. Just before I returned my new Rossi to the factory for repairs, I decided to check the cartridge clearance. It was way too wide so I followed the instructions at this link:

http://marauder.homestead.com/files/Ros ... _guide.htm

Completely solved the loading problem for less than $5. A very easy fix. :)
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Yes I completly left that out this has been an issue for a few I have seen here and there. I new someone else would cover what I forgot.
Maj Dad

Well, I'll Be Doggoned!

Post by Maj Dad »

I sighted it in a couple of weeks ago, and tonight I pulled the buttstock off & flushed the action with brake cleaner (really flushed :shock: ), then after drying it completely flushed it with Ballistol (I know, it stinks, but I have to admit I like the smell :geek: ). I cycled the action upteen times, dried it out fairly well, and lo! It fed the 240 Sierra & the 200 Hornady HP/XTP without a hitch. Doesn't seem to make sense, but I am nothing if not accepting - I'll take it! Goin' shootin' this weekend!
+guns
Maj, USAF, ret.
Member, SCV
Life Member VFW, DAV, TSRA and MOAA
Benefactor Member, NRA
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

In most cases this is all that is needed some need some simple deburring to get them operating correctly. Glad she is working for you they get better the more they get shot to. +guns