RD's 454 Casull Scout

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
dpe.ahoy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: RD's 454 Casull Scout

Post by dpe.ahoy »

Waiting to hear about your new bullet and your range results with this one. +corn As I get older, I just wonder if I shouldn't start loading things down a bit instead of seeing how fast I can make the heavy slugs go. :roll: Since I have the trapper stainless and a blued 20", I'm thinking about using the trapper with cast loaded to the low to mid 454 range. With full house loads, that little girl can jump right out of your hand if you don't have a FIRM grip on the fore stock :o , the 20" is a bit more civilized. DP
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: RD's 454 Casull Scout

Post by Ranch Dog »

dpe.ahoy wrote:Waiting to hear about your new bullet and your range results with this one.
A new bullet is a very slow process especially in light of the firearms industry right now. I will take me six to nine months to see the custom molds once I submit the order. Until then, my TLC454-290-RF will work just fine.

Your comments ring true for me actually, and had I been able to purchase the R92 in 357 Mag I really wanted a year ago, I doubt that I would have troubled with buying all of these heavier guns. My experience with the Marlin 1894 rifles told me that I really don't need the 44 Mag or 45 Colt if I have the 357 Mag. I can already see that my little scout rifle will be my go to gun around the ranch. It takes a big hog and opens it up like a can of peas yet, even with the big bullet, it's effective on coyotes and bobcats out to 200-yards. Cheap as can be reloading at $21.50 per box of 50! The only performance close would be Double Taps 180-grain LBT at $47.07 or Buffalo Bore's 180-grain LFN at $69.85 per 50!

Still fun to work with the others and as Pricedo said, I can always use the Casull on the South Texas swamp donkey.
Michael