Hello from Boston

Tell us a bit about yourself!
MG2112

Hello from Boston

Post by MG2112 »

All

Happy New Year. MG2112 here. Just got my first Rossi 92 yesterday. 38/357 20in blue. My first lever action and only second long gun.
I have not shot her yet but I am already in love. I own handguns and shoot frequently.

Any pre-shooting advice to give me? I know I have to give her a good cleaning. Anything else before I take
her to the range?

Thanks

Mike
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Hello from Boston

Post by akuser47 »

Welcome to the fold, You should flush out the action using breakclean best to remove rear stock only takes a minute to do then use non chlorinated brake cleaner and spray into the action and bolt until no more black gunk comes out of the back where the stock usaully is. after this wait a few minutes to let the brake cleaner evaperate then just use LCP or other spray oil to relube the action work the action alot while adding oil or shortly after spraying her down, and you will be better at the starting gate. If it is a new gunyou will be surprized by what comes out of a new gun. Another thing to do remove and clean is the mag tube spring and follower replace with a steel one once you can as well use a cleaning rod with a brush close to the I.D. of the tube and spray it before you have finished flushing your action it will run straight down into the action. I use brake clean here at first also to remove any grease in the tube and then use an oiled patch to lube this mag tube as well and clean up the spring when it is out of the tube and wipe it with oil as well. Sorry it sounds like alot this is all really simple and can be all done in less than 20 minutes and will prep your gun for better reliablity. I may have missed somthing buyt I think I coverd the most important. For your first range session may want to bring a few different loads from FMJ to hollowpoints or cowboy loads best to have options most levers in this pistol caliber are ammo picky some get better the more they are shot but no fun if you don't bring a few flavors of ammo to find somthing she likes out of the box. Happy new yearand enjoy your new gun. and get back to us if you have any qeustions. My rifle was used and was supposed to be clean I could not believe the crap that was in it.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
MG2112

Post by MG2112 »

Super. Thanks for the knowledge.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Greetings Mike and welcome to the forum.
Michael
OnTarget
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by OnTarget »

Welcome to the forum and have fun shooting her!
Barry in IN
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Barry in IN »

Welcome!
MG2112

Post by MG2112 »

Thanks everyone........
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

If your rifle is cycling & feeding ammo rough (or not at all) after flushing out the action with alcohol or de-chlorinated brake parts cleaner pull it completely apart and after cleaning all the parts (again with alcohol or de-chlorinated brake parts cleaner - YOU GOTTA BE ABLE TO SEE WHAT YOU'RE DOING to work effectively) polish off any machining burrs with a small file and/or a knife stone and smooth the surface with fine grit emery paper.
The CNC machining process used to cut the parts at the Brazil factory is computer guided but there is NO individual hand finishing of guns (much too expensive) at the Rossi factory and blemishes & burrs will often be left on the metal surfaces which will make for rough cycling & ammo feeding.
This task is not as daunting as it first appears and there is help available on the internet & on this site.
Once you've stripped & reassembled a 92 a coupla times you'll be able to do it in less than 20 minutes.
The initial cleaning & deburring process teaches you alot about your rifle.
The Steve's Gunz DVD is a good resource even if you don't do the full tune-up which I think is unnecessary for hunting guns.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
MG2112

Post by MG2112 »

Great information Pricedo. Thanks