Hello from northern California

Tell us a bit about yourself!
Hamdude

Hello from northern California

Post by Hamdude »

Hello Everyone,

I live in the Sacramento area of northern California. I got bit by the 45-70 bug when out target shooting with some friends this summer. My condition got worse and worse until I finally bought a Rossi Rio Grande stainless steel, big loop rifle in early December.

This is a very nice rifle--very good looking and packs a wallop. I want to thank everyone for all of their posts. I am new to lever action rifles and it is very helpful to hear what others say about their experiences.

I plan to use my rifle for blacktail and mule deer, as well as black bear and wild pig. This rifle is lighter and more compact than my Remington .270 Win, and the stainless steel makes it a bit more weatherproof. Once I rub some Renaissance wax into the stock and forearm it should be quite weatherproof.

I'm working out two problems with the rifle right now: 1) loading gate is stiff, and 2) bullets are very hard to insert into the magazine. Other than that I am very pleased to be a Rossi owner. I purchased the Rossi after reading about all of the QC problems with the newer Marlins. I love the 45-70 round--it is a monster, and lots of fun to shoot.

I am also very pleased that the Rio Grande will fire the Buffalo Bore ammunition. The difference between Buffalo Bore ammo and Remington, Hornady, etc. is like night and day!

I look forward to sharing my experiences with all of my new Rossi Rifleman buddies!

Heinz
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hello from northern California

Post by Ranch Dog »

Welcome to the forum Heinz!
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Hamdude wrote: I am also very pleased that the Rio Grande will fire the Buffalo Bore ammunition. The difference between Buffalo Bore ammo and Remington, Hornady, etc. is like night and day!

Heinz
Buffalo Bore (& likewise Garret) is great ammo but you'd better bring a wheel barrow full of money to the store if you're going to feed your guns an exclusive diet of it.........it's very expensive.
Not that the "green box" stuff is cheap these days ........I've got boxes of "green box" 45-70 ammo from the 70s store-stamped $5.95 for a box of 20 x 405 grainers..........now, they're a whole lot more than that.
If you are going to shoot a lot better get into hand loading.
Welcome to the forum........it's a place for lively, informed, polite discussion.........a "breath of fresh air" in comparison to some other more garrulous boards.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Welcome from Ohio glad to have you aboard.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Quinc
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Quinc »

Welcome to the forum! I am about an hour north of you up in Chico. You ever go to the Clay pits range out in Oroville?
"Everyone has a plan tell they get punched in the face." -Mike Tyson
Pb2au

Post by Pb2au »

Welcome as well!