Someone Please Buy This 454!

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Someone Please Buy This 454!

Post by pricedo »

golfish wrote:That guy in AZ selling those 454 told me they wouldn't last long..
Hope he was referring to the sale & not the rifles themselves. :shock:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
44WCF

Post by 44WCF »

are these .454's coming with the curved steel but plate? thats what the web site shows, and all i can think is Ouch!

i load my 44-40 up to an avg. speed of 1,812fps with a 200r XTP and i consider that to at the edge of "plesent shoting", at least with the steel but plate. my wife carries this gun and is still able to shoot it well. i own a SuperRedhawk in .454 and would realy like a '92 also, but i keep thinking about what the recoil is like in a 5lb gun. it doesn't bother me in the least to shoot the pistol, but taking it on the shoulder is somwhat less apealing. i shoot a 7.5lb .308 with a hard plastic butplate and thats okay. can somone put this in perspective for me?
dpe.ahoy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by dpe.ahoy »

Ranch Dog wrote:I'm absolutely worthless.

I woke up at 4:00 am and rather than go hunting, I wanted to work on my R92 357 Mag scout as I will be hunting with it next. I've shot it but did not clean it or do what I typically do. Also need to load some ammo for it.

Well, one thing led to another and I decided to see if that guy listed another blued 454 and durn if he didn't! I bought it. It was kind of a reflex reaction to the listing. I couldn't stand it yesterday that I let it get away and wasn't going to take it this morning if the opportunity presented itself. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the 454 Casull. Guess I will design a bullet and shoot it.
Yer gonna shoot it and like it A LOT!!! +guns I think you will like the fact it has a tighter chamber and carries that much power in such a light, balanced package. ;) Enjoy Michael! DP
Quinc
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Quinc »

Another one in Muncie, Indianapolis, Indiana
http://www.armslist.com/posts/729443/in ... 454-casull
"Everyone has a plan tell they get punched in the face." -Mike Tyson
dpe.ahoy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by dpe.ahoy »

44WCF wrote:are these .454's coming with the curved steel but plate? thats what the web site shows, and all i can think is Ouch!

i load my 44-40 up to an avg. speed of 1,812fps with a 200r XTP and i consider that to at the edge of "plesent shoting", at least with the steel but plate. my wife carries this gun and is still able to shoot it well. i own a SuperRedhawk in .454 and would realy like a '92 also, but i keep thinking about what the recoil is like in a 5lb gun. it doesn't bother me in the least to shoot the pistol, but taking it on the shoulder is somwhat less apealing. i shoot a 7.5lb .308 with a hard plastic butplate and thats okay. can somone put this in perspective for me?
My 454's have a rubber recoil pad from the factory. A few years ago I ordered another one for the 454 from LSI that I put on my 44 mag. Might need to call and confirm the metal butt plate on the 454's. That would be pretty rough on a shoulder with the 454, that is a pretty quick recoil impulse, especially in the trapper. DP
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

The have the rubber recoil pad on the squared butt stock. They also have the threaded magazine tube and are drilled and tapped for a scope. Mine already has the Weaver K4 Scout scope mounted on it.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

dpe.ahoy wrote:
44WCF wrote:are these .454's coming with the curved steel but plate? thats what the web site shows, and all i can think is Ouch!

My 454's have a rubber recoil pad from the factory. A few years ago I ordered another one for the 454 from LSI that I put on my 44 mag. Might need to call and confirm the metal butt plate on the 454's. That would be pretty rough on a shoulder with the 454, that is a pretty quick recoil impulse, especially in the trapper. DP
I've fired heavy rifles that use large amounts of relatively slow powder to push the bullet down a long barrel and the recoil is quite manageable.
The 454 uses a relatively large amount (as pistols/revolvers go) of very quick pistol powder (W296, H110) and the recoil (without the pad) is a sharp jab that seems to resonate right into the marrow of your shoulder bones & will leave a little blue bruise is the rifle isn't held securely.
You definitely need a pad on the 454 to keep shooting it a pleasant experience as it should be. +guns
We shoot for enjoyment........not to punish ourselves ! .........we got wives to do that ! :lol:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
44WCF

Post by 44WCF »

i see now that pics posted by you guys that have them, they all seem to have the nice vented rubber but pad. the Rossi website seems to show the same picture for every 20" blued gun, and that is with a steel but plate. does the .454 come with a saddle ring?

by "threaded magazine tube", do you mean the one where the end twists off for loading and unloading like a .22lr? i know some of you gripe about that, but i actualy think it would be handy for faster loading and unloading back at the truck when hunting. i'll keep my pre-saftey 44-40 for the original look and style, and the wife likes to hunt with it. i would like to get a .454 and add a SG peep sight for the untimate, no nonsense, knock down anything on 4 legs, 200yds and under hunting gun.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

44WCF wrote:i see now that pics posted by you guys that have them, they all seem to have the nice vented rubber but pad. the Rossi website seems to show the same picture for every 20" blued gun, and that is with a steel but plate. does the .454 come with a saddle ring?

by "threaded magazine tube", do you mean the one where the end twists off for loading and unloading like a .22lr? i know some of you gripe about that, but i actualy think it would be handy for faster loading and unloading back at the truck when hunting. i'll keep my pre-saftey 44-40 for the original look and style, and the wife likes to hunt with it. i would like to get a .454 and add a SG peep sight for the untimate, no nonsense, knock down anything on 4 legs, 200yds and under hunting gun.
My 454 is an Amadeo Rossi M92 made after the factory retooling & before the Taurus takeover.......it has the recoil pad but NO saddle ring and NO pigtail bolt safety.
The first 454s had a pinned-in-place magazine tube and the pin would eventually shear off from the wicked recoil of the 454 Casull rounds.
To correct this problem Rossi devised a tube/inner tube magazine arrangement where the outer "shell" tube was threaded into the rifles receiver and the concentric inner tube which contained the ammo ahead of the magazine follower under spring tension moved inside the outer "shell" tube much like a Marlin model 39A.
The cap of the inner tube was threaded into the inside of the outer "shell" tube on the muzzle end.
This made for a much more stable & robust arrangement that would hold up to the heavy 454 Casull recoil & Rossi engineers also designed a loading slot in the outer "shell" magazine tube which provided tube loading/unloading of ammunition capability ......again much like the Marlin model 39A.
If you are thinking of buying a Rossi 92/454 make sure it has the double threaded magazine tube configuration.........if it doesn't don't buy it unless you plan to fire 45LC ONLY in the gun.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA