A year with the Rossi 357

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
WyrTwister

Re: A year with the Rossi 357

Post by WyrTwister »

Droopybassets2 wrote:I for one have decided no more center fire semi auto rifles thanks to a 357 Rossi. The M1 carbine, AK74, AK47, SKS, Garand, AR and Mini-14(in my experience superior to an AR reguardless of flavor) have gone down the road.

A good pistol caliber lever is accurate enough to 200 yards, not much to break or jam, holds ten or so rounds that perform great, and is quicker than most people to get back on target after a shot.

The 92 is such a brilliant, fantastically designed rifle. No matter what people are into with guns, that is one thing which will never be able to be disputed.
I beg to differ . The Mini-14 I had was fun to shoot ( kind of like the M1 Carbine ) , but accuracy was a far second to most any AR I have had . It went down the road .

I really enjoy my Rossi M92 .357 . Probably more than the AR . But the AR has its place . If & when things go bad , I hope I can lay my hands on one of my AR's .

I also have a .45 LC M92 Rossi . It is a lot of fun to shoot , also . :-)

God bless
Wyr
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

As much as I love the lever action guns in most of their flavors I am not prepared to give up my semi autos.
I have AR-15s in 5.56NATO/.223Wylde and I'm building a 7.62x39 for the fun of it.
Got a .308 AR and a half and MIGHT just put together an upper in 6.5 Creedmore or .243 Win.
Building an AK which should be done in the next month.
Have a rack grade Garand and another that's been match modified. If I could get them for the prices I paid for those two I'd buy between a half dozen and a dozen more.
A Standard M1A and another 'Loaded' with some mods are fun.
Have an early Winchester M1 Carbine and an IAI from before when Kahr bought them out.

Yeah, the .30-06 or the .308 may be a bit slower to get off a second aimed shot than the .357 or the .44 Mag but they are every bit as fast or faster than the .444 Marlin or the .45-70 and they reach out a whole lot more than the pistol calibers. That may not seem like a big deal for plinking for fun or for woods running where the ranges are often inside of 50 yards and rarely over 150 but out here in southwest it can be a very big deal.

P.S. the bolt guns aren't going anywhere either, although a BLR MIGHT just be able to do the same job(s)...
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I'm only a fan of two on your new self imposed ban list. One costs too much to get now (M1G), one has a weird caliber (74), one is kinda weak and costs too much to get now (M1C), one is Chinese (SKS), one is an expensive duplicate that combines an AR and and M1 (mini14).

That being said I need a 47 or a mini30. :)
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Droopybassets2

Post by Droopybassets2 »

I've just gotten bored with the usual and thinned the heard for my uses over the last few years. I don't hunt, hate venison, and don't think the world is exploding or the govt is going to take our guns away. A accurate carbine at realistic ranges is perfect for me with paper and reactive targets. The 92 is the only center fire rifle I own. It's pure fun and if needed could take any potentially harmful game in the area. Add in a Wingmaster with a few barrels and a couple of 22's and I'm all set. Took me 20 years and countless guns to get here but I've found the perfect balance for me.
Droopybassets2

Post by Droopybassets2 »

I'll never own another AR. My experiences have been bad both with the M16/M4 and any AR variants.doesnt matter the ammo, mags, how clean it is, the lube, etc. Bolt override, double feeds, etc. No, not with Wolf or other polycase ammo either all brass cased "milspec" (which doesn't mean squat to me) munitions.

If I had to own another semi, it'd be either a M1 Carbine, or Mini-14. It's just for fun. Didnt mean to derail, just wanted to express my honest thoughts of the OP's fine decision on a firearm selection.
ethang

Post by ethang »

this is kinda getting off the original intent but ok...

AR's have their uses and do a wonderful job doing them. I have both a work rifle and several personal rifles. I have not found any to be lacking in reliability. If the %@*&$ ever does hit the fan, one will be the first thing I grab.

AR's are like Glocks though, they serve a purpose, do a good job, but they have no soul. Levers, much like Single Actions, 1911's, and old school Smiths or Colt's stir a man. I can buy and sell Glocks, or AR's without a thought, my others... not so much.
Plastic has no soul...
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

An AR that doesn't work wasn't built correctly and can be fixed easily. I have a spare that needs traded for a 1911. I don't even favor DA revolvers but I dang sure will always have an AR and some sort of plastic semi auto pistol.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

ethang wrote:this is kinda getting off the original intent but ok...
Yes, it has.
Michael
dalek

Post by dalek »

I am guilty for helping in derailing this thread. The reason for my question is that I have a friend in NY who has a lever action rifle and and whose friends have made fun of that ("Oooh, you live in NY so you can't own a *real* rifle/carbine"). I was (hopefully) looking for an answer of the lines Droopybassets2 posted: they are fun, accurate enough (100yd+), and can be quick enough.

That and what ethang said in the first post on this thread.

I hope that helps bring the thread back on topic. ;)
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

...and when the OP either stops responding or follows the derailment it's kind of a natural progression but I digress (again) ...