200gr RNFP in 45 Colt 92

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Leverlad

200gr RNFP in 45 Colt 92

Post by Leverlad »

Hey there all

I was recently given 500 cast bullets to try in my 45 Colt (24inch mod 92) I was gonna use them for general plinking but have seen loads of posts on forums saying they were no good in a rifle... ? Normally i use the 250 gr version but i have these anyway so i am gonna give em a whirl for light plinkers ... my rifle has a micro groove barrel - should that make any difference ?

Cheers
Leverlad +guns
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: 200gr RNFP in 45 Colt 92

Post by Rooster59 »

Mictogroove barrels can sometimes have trouble with accuracy with cast. Not much more than non-microgroove barrels but bullet diameter should be chosen more carefully.

The only issue I have experienced with 200 grainers is some blow by the brass with lighter powder loads with lighter bullets. That may be remedied with loads higher in the safe range or a little tighter crimp.

All this relates to not enough pressure to seal the brass to the chamber. Some 45 Colt rifles can have slightly large chambers which increases the liklihood of the sealing issue.

But.....you may have no issues at all! If you are an experienced reloader then you probably know most or all of this already. Proceed as you usually do unless you experience an issue.

Jeff
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
Leverlad

Post by Leverlad »

Thanks Rooster ! I will just forge ahead and put some lead in the air and see how it goes..... Do Microgroove barrels generally like a bigger cast bullet ? I have Ballard barrels on all my other rfles so wasnt too sure ? I saw some .455 cast bullets (made for Webly .455 revolvers i think) and may give them a whirl if i dont get any luck on the little 200 grainers....

Dave
44-40 Willy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 44-40 Willy »

Didn't know that Rossi made a microgroove barrel. I thought that was just a Marlin thing.

But with a microgroove barrel you definitely want your cast bullets to be at the very least .001" oversize to your groove diameter. Smaller and the troubles begin.
Navy Arms 1892 - 357 Mag - 24" Octagon heavy barrel.
Rossi 62 Octagon 22LR
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

44-40 Willy wrote:Didn't know that Rossi made a microgroove barrel. I thought that was just a Marlin thing.

But with a microgroove barrel you definitely want your cast bullets to be at the very least .001" oversize to your groove diameter. Smaller and the troubles begin.
I thought the same thing but I'm a short timer with Rossi made (Puma for me) rifles so I can't debate the rifling style claim of the OP.

Not sure I'd go all the way to .455" without slugging the barrel. I believe the largest most folks go is .454" but I don't know if .001" more is a bad thing or not. Maybe depends on the hardness?

Jeff
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Leverlad wrote: my rifle has a micro groove barrel
It doesn't.
Michael
Pepe Ray
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Pepe Ray »

I beleve that Micro-Groove is a Marlin trademarked term. Like "Coke"? Remember that conflict?

However-- in the '70's Mossberg made an incursion into the multi groove scene with some of there rifles. This could lead to some confusion
when looking at used guns. There lever guns were quite similar to the Marlins in appearance.
Pepe Ray
Salvation is ONLY through JESUS.
Freedom is ONLY through ETERNAL VIGILANCE and SACRIFICE.
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Good morning
I lean to fat cast bullits in my ammo. You can take that too far but filling that throat area has never caused me any regret. If you can get a good pressure seal behind the base of the bullet at the throat the narrower groove will take care of itself.
Mike in ILL
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.