Cracked Stock

The unique revolver-cylinder fed rifle. Chambered in 22 Rim Fire, 44 Mag, and 45 Colt/.410 bore.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Cracked Stock

Post by Ranch Dog »

retAFShooter wrote:I gave up on the CJ, wasn't going to wait for the second cracked stock. I sold the CJ a few days ago.
Interesting and your conclusion was the same end result that I decided on. I really wanted to see the 44 Mag work but there is just no way the grip stock can survive the test of time.
Michael
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

That was simply a bad stock design.
One of the ones we got into the shop I hang out at came in cracked to flinders.
I think something LIKE it could work but it'd have to be resin infused OR reinforced with a metallic bedding compound OR made out of polymer from the start.
waxclan

Post by waxclan »

I'm trying something. We have a local kiln drying sawmill nearby so I scored a fault ridden piece of dry rough sawn walnut, 1" x 8" x 8', planed on one side, enough good parts to make 4 "half stocks". Using some thin plywood I made an outline of the desired cavity for the frame, then created the cavity on the two halves. I used a digital caliper for measurements, and then used a router, dremel and chisel to mill out the cavity. I used Titebond 3 to glue the two together, eyeballing poking and probing the two halves so they matched then glued the two together. I've got a good fit (will need to shim the frame slightly (aluminum shims) along the back to make it "rock-free". I've used a bench belt sander to rough shape the stock. I did make it a point to NOT match the wood grain, hoping the glue line will retard grain line weakness around the frame. I've taken pictures of the progress, and if I can get 40-50 rounds through it without cracks I'll post further info.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Very interesting! Good luck and I look forward to hearing of your results.
Michael
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I'm not sure how you are making the stock.
You might if it is not a complete hole in a block sort of construction consider the possibility of bedding the frame to the stock IF you are comfortable with 1) Filling any gaps and/or cavities so that does not pose a problem and 2) releasing the frame so that it comes loose from the bedding compound. The old armorer who did Garands for the matches used to use Devcon steel filled epoxy but I think there's several options.
Granted with a handgun style frame I might be concerned with part 1 in particular.

Good luck and please report regardless.
Bibletotingunslinger
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Bibletotingunslinger »

Archer wrote:I'm going to say I think there's something not quite fundamentally right about the Circuit Judge's stocks.
I've seen at least one guy come NIB with a stock cracked up worse than that.
This seems to be a bit too common and possibly these stocks need some additional support elements incorporated into the design to help prevent splitting like this.
sounds like you hit that right on the bullseye. I am just lucky, I have abused mine and its still not broke.
But looking at the wood, just doesn't look like its will hold up.
If mine breaks, I will not go back to Rossi for a new one.
Don't ask me to do anything where where I can't take Bible and Gun, I would leave Dog home, but reluctantly.
barracudadave67

Post by barracudadave67 »

Just came from my LGS. UPS delivered a package while I was there, It was a nice shinny stainless CJ in .45 colt/.410. It had a cracked stock, same place as ret AFshooters. He had sent it back to Rossi over a year ago, because of the stock. They sent it back still cracked. I didn't ask him if it was a customers gun. What a shame.

barracudadave67
barracudadave67

Well I have been thinking about that CJ. I asked the dealer if he would sell it as is, and he said he would take $535.00 for it. I'm still thinking. Don't know if that's a decent price or not. Any one have any input on what its worth. Stock wasn't that bad, I think I could repair/reinforce, as I have done quite a bit of stock work, including repairs.

barracudadave67
barracudadave67

Well Guys........... I went and done it. I now own the CJ in the above post. The stock is not that bad. I'm planing on filling the grip portion (where the cracks are) with "Acra-Glass". Their is a plastic insert in the top part of the grip, and that was so tight it wouldn't come out, I think it was putting outward pressure on the wood. I made it so it can be removed easily, to releve the pressure. Also planning on enlarging the bolt that holds the stock on, buy drilling, and taping to a larger size. that little bitty screw thats in it, is under a lot of stress. Filling the grip of the stock with "Acra-Glass" will also give the screw a positive stop, in the tight posistion, when reinstalling the stock.
barracudadave67
ArmedDefender

Post by ArmedDefender »

Keep us posted after you fire it. Should be a good fix.