.458 RNFP Lead for .45 Colt

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
Leverlad

.458 RNFP Lead for .45 Colt

Post by Leverlad »

Hey all

Would i have any issues using a 350gr bullet that i use in my 45 70 (.458) to load into my 92 .45Colt microgroove which usually gets fed .452 lead bullets ? I am not sure the slight difference would make a massive difference would it ? I was thinking of using 6.5gr Trailboss to shove them out the tube .... ?

Cheers
Pepe Ray
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: .458 RNFP Lead for .45 Colt

Post by Pepe Ray »

I've never used Trailboss so wouldn't know if the charge is correct.
The obvious point that must be addressed is "will it chamber?" Your gaining a lot of diameter. If it will feed and chamber
you should be able to find a good charge for it.
Pepe Ray
Salvation is ONLY through JESUS.
Freedom is ONLY through ETERNAL VIGILANCE and SACRIFICE.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Leverlad wrote:Hey all

Would i have any issues using a 350gr bullet that i use in my 45 70 (.458) to load into my 92 .45Colt microgroove which usually gets fed .452 lead bullets ? I am not sure the slight difference would make a massive difference would it ? I was thinking of using 6.5gr Trailboss to shove them out the tube .... ?

Cheers
The biggest issue I see is it would not chamber unless sized to something around .454" or less. This is a longer bullet than typically used with the 45 Colt and the case swell even at a .452" diameter would probably prevent it from chambering. Finally, resizing the bullet would need to be done in at least two increments, possibly three. In that process the lube grooves would probably be eliminated.
Michael
Leverlad

Post by Leverlad »

Ranch Dog wrote:
Leverlad wrote:Hey all

Cheers
The biggest issue I see is it would not chamber unless sized to something around .454" or less. This is a longer bullet than typically used with the 45 Colt and the case swell even at a .452" diameter would probably prevent it from chambering. Finally, resizing the bullet would need to be done in at least two increments, possibly three. In that process the lube grooves would probably be eliminated.
Thanx Mike ... that puts paid to that idea ... :-) i may just stick to .452 - .454 bullets .... :?
Wills Point Pete

Post by Wills Point Pete »

If you buy one of those Lee sizing kits in .454 you can push the already lubed bullets through and load 'em. Or, if you want to just test the idea, call Midway and order a box of Cast performance 360 gr. .452 gas checked bullets. Then, if you like that, get the sizing kit. Or, heck, get 'em both.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Wills Point Pete wrote:If you buy one of those Lee sizing kits in .454 you can push the already lubed bullets through and load 'em. Or, if you want to just test the idea, call Midway and order a box of Cast performance 360 gr. .452 gas checked bullets. Then, if you like that, get the sizing kit. Or, heck, get 'em both.
From the top... the subject line, the fellow wanted to size the .458 bullets he already has down to .454 or .452. It will not work,period. There will not be any lube groove or lube left.
Michael