10 Pointer with 480 Ruger

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: 10 Pointer with 480 Ruger

Post by Rooster59 »

Congratulations on catching that one when you did. He's a nice example of a south TX buck.

After reading your statistical report it seems to me it would be a good idea to focus on coyotes here in Missouri. Many of us had a long discussion last night after the VFW chicken dinner regarding deer harvest. Our dept of conservation reported record numbers of fatalities due to blue tongue this year. Some of the river and creek banks looked like scenes from Gettysburg only with deer carcasses. Some of the estimates are around 50,000 fatalities. Officially, 14,000 were reported found by the opening of bow season in mid-September.

My layman's opinion is that some heavy pressure on predators would help the recovery in the next one to two years. If nature is able to help by increasing fawn survival rates the coyotes might thrive due to an increased fawn availability. Could there be the potential for coyotes to boom because of it? If so, nipping it in the bud might be prudent.

Jeff
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Rooster59 wrote:If nature is able to help by increasing fawn survival rates the coyotes might thrive due to an increased fawn availability. Could there be the potential for coyotes to boom because of it?
I think so. The best course of action is to always place pressure on predators. Here if one is seen, it is shot at. Also, always make time to hunt them.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

People have tried snares for coyotes in my area.
I don't like snares.......they're non discriminating.......could be your family pet or a beneficial animal you find dead in the snare.
A personally administered lead pill +guns is the best medicine for "yotes" if you catch my drift :D .
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

pricedo wrote:People have tried snares for coyotes in my area.
I don't like snares.......they're non discriminating.......could be your family pet or a beneficial animal you find dead in the snare.
A personally administered lead pill +guns is the best medicine for "yotes" if you catch my drift :D .
It is used around here but it is hell on javelina. I've also found coyotes and bobcats in snares and felt bad for them as they do suffer. It is suspect that my dog was caught in a snare, don't really know as she chewed in leg off to get loose of whatever got her. A bullet is always the quicker way to deal with these issues.
Michael
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

Ditto on the lead pills. They are very effective. At reducing coyote population and provide quite a satisfying feeling for the "prescriber" of the pill. And if you get them all who cares? Buzzards gotta eat and they don't hunt fawns.
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver