44 Mag w/Buffalo Bore 340-grn +P or Similar Ammo

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
JRexA

44 Mag w/Buffalo Bore 340-grn +P or Similar Ammo

Post by JRexA »

Will the Rossi Puma '92 (Pre Brasstech) be safe to use, with Buffalo Bore 340 Grains +P+ ammo?
(Or Similar)

And will it cycle those longer than standard loads?

I won't be shooting a bunch of them, but would be fun to have something a "bit" more than the usual stuff...

(edited title to reflect answer from Buffalo Bore)
Last edited by JRexA on 02 May 2016 17:16, edited 2 times in total.
Happy Shooting from Greenland
Jesper Rex
JRexA

Re: 44 Mag w/Buffalo Bore 340-grn +P or Similar Ammo

Post by JRexA »

I expect that since it can be had in 454 Casull, then it should safely handle any load that can be fired in a Revolver, in 44 Mag, if it can chamber it.

So for me the big question is, can it cycle and chamber those long 340 grain loads?

Or should I go with the more "normal" 310 grain bullets?

Also: Will it stabilize the 340 grain bullet?
Jesper Rex
oley55

Post by oley55 »

as per Buffalo Bore:

APPROVED FIREARMS

This new load is designed ONLY for certain firearms. They are as follows; Ruger Red Hawk, Ruger Super Red Hawk (the Ruger Alaskan is a short barrel Super Redhawk), Ruger Super Blackhawk or Vaquero, Freedom Arms Model 83, Taurus Raging Bull, Colt Anaconda, Magnum Research BFR and Dan Wesson Revolvers. Suitable rifles include T/C Encore, Handi Rifle and any rifle with a falling block action.

Not saying it can't handle it, but.........I gotta think they would want to list more weapons capable of use as opposed to limiting their potential customers.

I do question whether our Rossi slow twist will stabilize 340gr of lead.

All that said, I can not speak from experience except I'm pretty sure my shoulder couldn't take more than 10 rounds on any given day.
R92 .357 Mag, Case hardened, 24"
R92 .44 Mag, SS, 24"

“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” - Ronald Reagan -
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

In that they only mention revolvers and top break actions, I suspect the cartridges will not work through an action. BB is very good about answering emails, why don't you ask them and let us know what they say.

My 454 Casull have no problems stabilizing my 330-grain bullet nor my 480 Ruger my 375 grain bullet. They both use the same 1:30 rate of twist.
Michael
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

One thing I've heard a time or two on this forum is that the 454 uses a threaded mag tube vs the slip fit on the .44 Mag. Some users have had issues with that before they get to the Buffalo Bore level cartridges. Others have had no issues with heavy hard recoiling rounds.
JRexA

Post by JRexA »

As suggested, I wrote Buffalo Bore.

This is what I wrote:
Subject: P 44 Mag load and Rossi 1892?
Message: Have your 340 Grain P load been Tested in the Rossi 1892 Clones?

I expect that it will be single feed only, and that Keyholing is a major
issue. But is the Modern 1892 clones strong enough?
I know that the Rossi R92 rifles can be had in 454 Casull and 480 Ruger.

Thank you in advance for your time and your service.
I hope that this question haven't been asked too many times
Here is the answer:
I've seen no issues with that 340gr. when hand fed through the Rossi 1892
that I had. As you pointed out, the length was too long, but in single shot
mode the 340gr. load worked great and yes the 1892 is super strong, so
strength is not an issue.

Tim
So the conclussion is, it can be used safely, but single feed only.
And as stated by another poster. I expect that after 10 rounds, you want a new shoulder, specially if you shoot the original steel butplate

I wonder, what is the max bullet size, that will feed reliably.

I would love to get a load that gives more than 1476 FPE at 100 meters(110 yards), and that can feed through the magazine.
That would make it legal, for Red Stag, in Denmark, and for Elk, in Sweden/Norway.
not that I ever expect to use it, like that. But would be fun to have the option.

The Buffalo Bore Deer grenade goes around 400 fps faster, in a 20" rifle, than a 5.5" revolver.
I Expect that the 340 Grain +P+ will easily go 300 FPS faster in a 20" rifle, than in a 5.5" revolver, and then it is above that energy limit.
Jesper Rex
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Very good to know, thank you!
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

Jesper,

I shoot and old NEI 320 cast bullet in my R92 44 mag. Actual weight after powder coat and gas check is 341 grains.

I have not worked up to a full max load with them yet, as I have not had a need to do so. I tend to shoot bullets more toward the "standard" weight for caliber. But I do load and shoot some of these every once and a while, mostly to scare people. Because after I show them the projectile, they assume like I did the first time I shot them, that they will kick very hard. In a handgun, the recoil is more visible, because the gun and arms will be pushed back and higher in the arc, especially with a single actions plowhandle grip. But in the 92, they really do not "feel" that much harder and the kick is straight back. And yes, the steel buttplate on the 92 will let you know you just pulled the trigger. I put the stock off of my 454 on the 44, when I plan on shooting more than a few rounds in the bigger calibers.

Granted, my load of 18.0 of LilGun powder is still 2 full grains below what I find listed as max. But they are still moving at 1500 FPS out of my 20" Rossi. The recoil from the rifle seems to be spread out over a little more time, because the heavy bullet takes a little more time, to get up to speed. A max load 240 grain is a lot quicker, and the recoil seems to be sharper too.

Keep a screwdriver in your gun bag, and check the magazine plug screw, often. Keeping it tight will help to stop the screw from slipping out of it's shallow hole. Once it does slip out, it rubs a groove in the barrel holes edge, and also wears some off of the edges of the screw. Now it is a lot easier for it to jump out the next time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70