Does Rossi or Taurus make the 92?

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
warnerwh

Does Rossi or Taurus make the 92?

Post by warnerwh »

I'm confused on who makes the 92's. My .44 I noticed it says it was made by Taurus. Even though Taurus bought out Rossi I would expect Rossi to still be manufacturing them especially since they are Rossi guns, or are they? TIA
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Does Rossi or Taurus make the 92?

Post by pricedo »

warnerwh wrote:I'm confused on who makes the 92's. My .44 I noticed it says it was made by Taurus. Even though Taurus bought out Rossi I would expect Rossi to still be manufacturing them especially since they are Rossi guns, or are they? TIA
Like the immortal Bogy said......."PLAY IT AGAIN SAM" :D :mrgreen:

Taurus bought out Amadeo Rossi & called the new corporate entity Braztech.
It's the same factory in Brazil making the guns.
Apparently "Braztech" is stenciled on the tang of the newer guns made since the acquisition........so I'm told........I'm not sure cause I don't own one of the newer guns........all 3 of my 92s are safety-less Amadeo Rossi SAs.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

I just checked mine out which is a 45 Colt. Mine I got new 2.5 years ago and has Rossi on it however my new Rossi Rio Grande has Braztech followed by made in Miami, FL. Nothing says Taurus but it wouldn't surprise me since they own Rossi as others have said.
Joe
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

I don't know about the Rio Grande 336 clone rifles but I'm sure the 92s are still made in the factory in Brazil which was completely re-tooled for CNC machining in 2000 or thereabouts. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

This is the one of the latest roll stamps. This rifle was in Brazil 6 weeks ago.
roll stamp.jpg
The only mention of Rossi is on the opposite side of the barrel, it states "Rossi 38 Spl - 357 Mag"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

Ranch Dog wrote:This is the one of the latest roll stamps. This rifle was in Brazil 6 weeks ago.
roll stamp.jpg
The only mention of Rossi is on the opposite side of the barrel, it states "Rossi 38 Spl - 357 Mag"
My 45 is the same with the only difference is mine doesn't have the white lettering but just stamped in the barrel.
Joe
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

joec wrote:My 45 is the same with the only difference is mine doesn't have the white lettering but just stamped in the barrel.
That would be like my first 357 Mag, just a few months earlier in production.
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

all made on the same machines and tooling only thing that seems to change is the Q.C. for the finished product. They change the ownership not so much the end product.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

The 92 is made in the same factory in Brazil that the original Rossi 92s were made in back in the day by Amadeo Rossi.
The Rossi factory in Brazil underwent a major retooling to CNC technology (computer run cutting machines & lathes) in the early 2000s while still under Amadeo management to clean up some of the QC issues.........it worked........quality of later guns improved because of the much more exact machining tolerances.
My Amadeo Rossis were all made after the retooling but before the Taurus takeover and the formation of the Braztech Company & that probably accounts for their fine accuracy & their lack of pigtail safeties on their bolts.
Back then (as is still the case) there was NO hand finishing & there were rough spots (burrs) to clean up around edges & drill holes.
I think hand finishing is a thing of the past anyway EVERYWHERE, not just at Braztech/Rossi.........much to labor intensive & expensive greatly increasing the cost/gun on the assembly lines.
The ultra-expensive Italian clones & Turnbull restorations/clones would be notable exceptions........if you want a hand finished clone your looking at $1500 plus.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA