Questions About The Taurus (Rossi) Tang Sight

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Pepe Ray
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Questions About The Taurus (Rossi) Tang Sight

Post by Pepe Ray »

Dennis;
Moosehead is about a 2hr. drive from here. I've been there several times. It's fun or used to be. Gasoline prices take the pleasure out of "pleasure trips". Moosehead is high profile because there are so many small businesses catering to tourists-hunters-fishermen-snowmobilers.
Maine has many historical attractions as well as sporting. We have so many water sites that we ran out of names and must repeat some. It can make getting around a headache. The Appalachian Trail, over 5000 miles of coastline. Thousands of miles of privately owned roads, mostly un charted,(Google Earth is your friend.) that are built to withstand giant logging trucks at 50 mph. Don't get caught in traffic during the work week. Ouch!!! With patience, homes can be found comparatively inexpensively, but most buyers only last one year. Did I mention winter and black flys. If you weren't born here you'll always be "from away" or "flatlander", depending on how many friends you can make.
I live in the only Conservativeive county(out of 16 total.) Portland vicinity is merely a bedroom community for Bostonians and Yorkies. They come to Maine for all its treasures, become politically active and promptly kill everything they admired. It's my home. I'll be buried in my own cemetery, in a box I constructed for myself.

In the meantime, come to visit, hunt, fish, I make a great cup of coffee or a "toddie". OH BTW, we don't have Elk or Griz.

Pepe Ray
Salvation is ONLY through JESUS.
Freedom is ONLY through ETERNAL VIGILANCE and SACRIFICE.
Turkey Huntsman

Re: Questions About The Taurus (Rossi) Tang Sight

Post by Turkey Huntsman »

Pepe...I fully understand. I reluctantly brought my wife for lunch in Bar Harbor with my opinion that the place was totally destroyed 40 years ago by a particular breed of city folk. My recollection was spot on, and she couldn't wait to get the heck out of there, too. Portland also used to be a "real" place - but from what I could see it has turned into a mini-Boston with all of it's hipster youth and way overpriced items "as seen in Vanity Fair or Esquire."

One needs to venture further out to experience the real "Down East." We did that as much as possible during our short stay. I love the real Maine, and whom wouldn't? I was way the heck up near Caribou some years back, out on those logging roads you mentioned. Loved it, but I did get stuck behind some increadibly large trucks!

Yeah, my bad...I know you dont have Elk back east, nor griz, but you do have MOOSE and blacks. Seeing a moose in the wild has got to be one heck of an experience. So far as hunting them, I can't imagine how guys manage to drag a 1,200 lb animal out and process it? You could feed an entire village for a year with one of those bulls.

Back to the Taurus peep sight, I was lucky enough to score a new one on EBAY for a very modest $45. I've read nothing but good accounts from people whom own them. Apparently, it is a decent quality copy of the Marbles...right down to having the same thread for the aperatures! One can swap Marbles discs in!

I'm going to try it first with the crappy front blade that came on my 16" .44 M92. If I can even hit the black at 100 yards, I'll invest in a better front sight...perhaps a 1/16" white ball for better visibility. Or maybe try a globe, too. If the peep allows me to focus sharply enough on the front sight with my failing eyes, I may just forego the scout scope I was planning to also incorporate. My goal is to hunt pigs at no greater than 100 yds - if my groups at the range are tight enough with the new tang sight, my work will be done. The only thing I've read is that a tang sight is not very good in low light conditions, which unfortunately is when the pigs are most active. The 2.75x scout scope apparently has a big edge in low light.

I'll be taking some pics and reporting how my sight selection odyssey progresses. It's a topic that nobody gets tired of. Hopefully, someday we can chat about this F-to-F if the black flies aren't out!

-Dennis
San Diego, CA