Trailboss for 45 Colt

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
Leverlad

Trailboss for 45 Colt

Post by Leverlad »

Hi All

Please would someone that has used heavy doses of Trailboss let me know what the max charge would be for a 250gr RNFP lead bullet in Starline brass lit by a std large pistol primer and fed by Trailboss in a 24" 45 Colt '92 rifle ?

I was shooting 7gr and want to try 8 gr (which still is not a compressed load as far as i can tell) - I do use H110 for hunting loads but was after a bit more punch from TB as I have a large container of it that needs using up !! I hear that it is very forgiving but i dont want to go pushing the envelope too hard.... :roll:

Anyone out there with some first hand knowledge on this ??

Thanx ...
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Trailboss for 45 Colt

Post by joec »

Leverlad wrote:Hi All

Please would someone that has used heavy doses of Trailboss let me know what the max charge would be for a 250gr RNFP lead bullet in Starline brass lit by a std large pistol primer and fed by Trailboss in a 24" 45 Colt '92 rifle ?

I was shooting 7gr and want to try 8 gr (which still is not a compressed load as far as i can tell) - I do use H110 for hunting loads but was after a bit more punch from TB as I have a large container of it that needs using up !! I hear that it is very forgiving but i dont want to go pushing the envelope too hard.... :roll:

Anyone out there with some first hand knowledge on this ??

Thanx ...
No problem here according to http://www.imrpowder.com/data/handgun/t ... eb2005.php and regardless pistol or rifle still be same in the case of 45 Colt.

250 gr cast LRNFP .452 dia OAL 1.600
4.5 gr 606 fps 8,800 PSI - 5.8 gr 727 12,700 PSI

A rule of thumb with Trail boss is to fill the open area in the shell to 70% and don't compress it. I love the stuff myself for both 45 Colt and 45-70.
Joe
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

I shoot more Trail Boss through my 45 colt Marlin than anything else but I don't try for max charge as my accuracy suffered above 6.2gr. Thats pushing a 250 gr Lasercast rnfp. Just a fun sub sonic load that smacks the piece of 3/8"steel I shoot at @ 75 yds off hand every time . I think if I was looking for a bit more velocity I would give something else a try. Maybe unique.

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2
No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

I love 12.8 to 13 gr behind a 405 gr bullet in my 45-70 also. It is pretty accurate also and would probably kill a deer at a reasonable range also.
Joe
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

joec wrote:I love 12.8 to 13 gr behind a 405 gr bullet in my 45-70 also. It is pretty accurate also and would probably kill a deer at a reasonable range also.
I've been using 13.8 gr of Trail Boss with a 350 gr cast bullet in my 45/70 with good accuracy. No doubt a deer would have a very short time to live after a well placed hit with one of those plinkers..

No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

Arktikos wrote:
joec wrote:I love 12.8 to 13 gr behind a 405 gr bullet in my 45-70 also. It is pretty accurate also and would probably kill a deer at a reasonable range also.
I've been using 13.8 gr of Trail Boss with a 350 gr cast bullet in my 45/70 with good accuracy. No doubt a deer would have a very short time to live after a well placed hit with one of those plinkers..

That sounds about right for a 350 gr cast bullet if it doesn't seat into the case as far as a 405 gr does. A rule of thumb with trailboss is 70% of the empty volume of a case once the bullet is in.
Joe