G'day from Australia!

Tell us a bit about yourself!
FourFingersofDeath

G'day from Australia!

Post by FourFingersofDeath »

I bought my first Rossi for my late wife in the late 60s, shortly after we started going out together. I wanted to make sure she really was ok with guns. It is a Gallery with the long barrel. She loved it and the rifle is very user freindly and seems to prefer the cheaper ammo, what's not to like? She loved plinking with it. We lent it to her brother for 15years of so and it took care of all sorts of pests on a large Government Agricultural Research Station. It still gets dusted off for the odd hunt and plink and has been used to train many newbie shooters at the range.

IN 2005, I was having reliability trouble with my 1866 Uberti 44/40 (ammo problem I worked out later, Magtec rims were too thick). I was on holiday and went into a big town on the way North and plunked down a deposit on a new Rossi SS 44mag. Back on the road and an hour later, hit the next town and saw the Remington sing on the way in. Pulled upand there was a blued Rossi 92 357Mag. The new 44 had just cost me $AU585 and this one was used and $AU230. I snapped it up as a spare rifle and one for newbie shooters to borrow. I ended up campaigning with this cheapie for several years, it has fired thousands and thousands of cowboy 38s and apart from a screw falling out that I failed to check, has never missed a beat! It has become one of my best ever rifles and one of my favourites. Absolutely great rifle!

I never really warmed to the 44Mag, shot wayyyyyyyyyyyy too high, hickupped occasionally with 44Specials,but the main problem is that I have never really persisted with it.

I must dig out the 44 and give it a fair go.

Absolutely great guns!

I have a 44/265 Ranch Dog mould on the way for my 444, I will see how that goes in the 44Mag.

This is usually my avitar, but I can't seem to get it together. This is the 357 shooting 38s at a cowboy match. Woolen bush shirt, it was just about snowing at the time and freezing! Doesn't look like it though.

That is the only photo I have of it.

I also have several 1892 Winchesters in 25/20, 32/20, 44/40
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: G'day from Australia!

Post by Ranch Dog »

Greetings FFD! Great to see you here and thanks for adding your history with these rifles.

After killing a large hog with the 480 Ruger yesterday afternoon, my R92 chambered in 44 Mag has now moved up into the lineup. I'm using my TLC42-300-RF sized at .430". In reality, all three of my 44/444 bullets would appear the same when seated in a cartridge as their nose profile is the same. There might be slightly more case swell with progressively heavier bullets as more bullet is contained within the case. This is why my 432-350 was never marketed as a 44 Mag bullet. Nose profile is the same as the others but the body length caused to much swell for the cartridge to reliably chamber.

That "265" has taken a couple of your buffalo with the 444 Marlin.

Oh, I took care of the avatar stuff on my end.
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: G'day from Australia!

Post by akuser47 »

welcome
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!