Quick load program

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
Zippidydoodah

Quick load program

Post by Zippidydoodah »

Is the program useful for low power plinking loads, say 1200 fps with a 338 winchester mag and 200 gr lead ranch_dog bullets? I have lyman, hornady, sierra, speer, barnes and nosler and most do not address plinking loads.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Quick load program

Post by Ranch Dog »

Zippidydoodah wrote:Is the program useful for low power plinking loads, say 1200 fps with a 338 winchester mag and 200 gr lead ranch_dog bullets? I have lyman, hornady, sierra, speer, barnes and nosler and most do not address plinking loads.
It does a pretty good job of it or better than any other source that is available. I had a 30-30 Ackley Improved and I would fire form cases using the Lee .311 round ball with a light load of Unique. It was spot on with that load so I don't see why it wouldn't work with anything else. What I like most about the software is the education it provides the shooter in internal ballistics.

I'm going to move this out of the "Wizard" forum and to the "Reloading" forum.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Just purchased the Quickload program from neconos.com.
I've got lots of external ballistics programs .
Quickload will be my first internal ballistics program.
I have heard good things about it from several credible sources including RDs posts on this board.
I have just about every reloading manual ever printed by the major powder and bullet manufacturers (Accurate, Barnes, Speer, Sierra, Hornady, Lyman, Dupont, Lee, Nosler, IMR, Hodgden, Winchester, Norma, Vihtavuori and several others) for the past 40 years.
I've got drawers and cupboards full of them.
When I conjecture a safe starting load I usually work between the powder manufacturers manual and the bullet manufacturers manual relevant to the components I'll be using or when narrowing down my choice of powder.
Worked good so far...........Look Ma!....no parts missing !
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

pricedo wrote:Just purchased the Quickload program from neconos.com.
I think you will find it a worthy purchase, especially if you take the time to digest the manual, which is huge but worth the read.
Michael
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

I got my copy of Quickload a few days ago and couldn't be happier! Been running my favorite loads through it as well as some from good sources such as Hodgdon and so far am finding the data well within my threshold for finding a good start load. I also found a pretty alarming bit of info concerning Beartooth's 525 piledriver data that is shown on their web site. Quickload shows their max RL7 at 44.3 at over 70kpsi! I was particularly interested because I used this 44.3gr RL7 load as a basis for a 12.5% reduced start load and even that was a Ruger#1 load of 48kpsi. I thought something was amiss with my chronograph at the time with the 1700fps readings but held off shooting anymore than 2 rounds. Had I owned Quickload at the time I wouldn't have been anywhere near that pressure! I posted about this on Marlin Owners if anyone using RL7 is interested.. Read post #30 on this thread: http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/45-70 ... ame-3.html
No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Just installed my copy of Quickload on Windows 7 Ultimate........took all of 5 minutes.
On Windows 7 you need to open the CD root directory right click setup.exe and click "run as administrator" from the right click context menu that presents itself on your screen.
"7" will not allow any system entity without administrator rights to write entries to the operating system registry.
No registry entries......the program doesn't work.
I found the above methodology to be the best way to install programs on Windows 7.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

pricedo wrote:Just installed my copy of Quickload on Windows 7 Ultimate........took all of 5 minutes.
On Windows 7 you need to open the CD root directory right click setup.exe and click "run as administrator" from the right click context menu that presents itself on your screen.
"7" will not allow any system entity without administrator rights to write entries to the operating system registry.
No registry entries......the program doesn't work.
I found the above methodology to be the best way to install programs on Windows 7.
Let us know what you think of it. I wish there was a forum just devoted to this software somewhere as there is a learning curve to it.

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2
No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!