The new Henry Big Boy steel sighting!

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
jbaker30

The new Henry Big Boy steel sighting!

Post by jbaker30 »

Saw one of the new Henry Big Boy steel rifles in 44 mag on Gunsamerica, looked very nice. Usual Henry great fit and finish. Looks Like Henry has fired a warning shot across the bow of Marlin and Rossi.
JB
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: The new Henry Big Boy steel sighting!

Post by Archer »

Depends,
Henry makes some great rifles with superior stocks but they haven't been cost competitive with the Rossi.
To some extent their reputation for quality and looks offsets the cost difference but not for the budget buyer. If they are still using the .22 removable tube mag spring load from the front that hurts them for a lot of folks. IF their Big Boy Steel is using the same painted finish as their .22s they are going to be hurt by a lack of finish durability.

That said, I've seen one of their Authentic Henry guns recently and a couple high grade brass framed big boys and they were stunning. The big boys sold pretty quick and the Original was brought in by the buyer to a shop I hang out at too much. None of them were at all inexpensive.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Also a major negative for henry center fire levers are their weight. In comparison to a 92 or 94. hauling a 8.5 pound rifle compared to a rossi 92 in the field. +corn I love my dads big boy its purty, but
I would take my rossi over it if going into the woods.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
jbaker30

Post by jbaker30 »

Archer they are a steel reciever blued one piece like the 30-30 and the 45-70, drilled and tapped for scope mount. They are tube feed,but that's OK for me as I like the tube feed on my 454 casull 92. They Have a 20inch round barrel. I like them,but I would not give up my marlin 1894 CB 44 mag for one that's for sure, and my pre-safety 1894c is staying put too.They are very nice looking though and are made right here in the the good old USA. Great warranty and customer service that Henry is known for also is a plus. Good to see other options out there.
Cheers,
JB
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I can deal with feeding from the front but I don't really like it.

I've seen customers at the gunshop very interested in the Henry until they figure out there's no loading gate and several dropped the idea right there.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

jbaker30 wrote:Saw one of the new Henry Big Boy steel rifles in 44 mag on Gunsamerica, looked very nice. Usual Henry great fit and finish. Looks Like Henry has fired a warning shot across the bow of Marlin and Rossi.
JB
Really not a warning shot for either Marlin or Rossi. Marlin is back and they look good from what I've seen and handled. The 308 ME and 444 Marlin is back for 2015. They are still sorting out their 1894s but I have no doubt that they can figure that out as well. Rossi, well, not sure about them. They have definitely their product line back so who knows what they are up to.

One thing that Henry is doing right is bring kids into their product line of leverguns with the 22 RF offering. You cannot going into any type of gun store in my area without those rifles being on the racks and they are being sold.

The Rio Grande 45-70 brought me to the Rossi line and though it has been discontinued, I'm still very happy with my choice. The Henry 45-70 took too long from announcement to being for sale for me to consider it. When I finally handled one, I was glad I bought the RG4570B. My interest is totally of that as a hunter. I will not do without a loading gate and the rifle is too heavy for the field. Fit and finish is great but it was something that would never have left my shooting bench.
Michael
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

The Henry .22 lever guns are I think the best things out there right now.
The Mossberg just doesn't compare.
The Winchester and the Marlin are currently unobtainium and if you do happen to find one it is double the price of the Henry and quite often used hard and put away wet.
ironhead7544
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by ironhead7544 »

The Big Boy Steel framed version is a carbine with a round barrel. Weight is 7 lbs. Looks like they pared off some weight from the action also. Probably will be around $650.00 street price.

I think they will sell a lot of them. I called them some time ago and asked about a lighter carbine model. I guess a lot of other people did too. Henry is also listing a 16 inch Big Boy now.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

They are nice folks to talk to. I called them when I got my Octagonal .22 about ordering some parts.

The hurricane flooded their plant and really set back their production. I don't know if that had bearing on the delivery of the .45-70s or not but I know they were exceptionally hard to get in this area for some time.