Found 1895ss today at the gun show!

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
wquiles

Found 1895ss today at the gun show!

Post by wquiles »

I went to a local, large gun show today, hoping to find a Rio Grande. I however found a Marlin which I could not pass up. The Marlin 45-70 rifle is in very good shape, and comes with the big loop conversion (which I wanted), an excellent trigger job, scout scope mount, and Weaver K-4 scout scope, all for $680 out the door, Serial number is 0003xxxx, which puts it as a year 2000 manufacture:

Scout scope mount:

Weaver 4x scout scope:

A few scratches on top from what must be a prior scope base:

Pretty decent metal/wood fit all over the gun:

The action feels solid, without slop, with zero grittiness. I tried cycling 3x of my snap caps just for fun: perfect cycling!

Of course, I need to take it to the range. That is the real test. I hope to do that soon :D

Will
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Found 1895ss today at the gun show!

Post by akuser47 »

Wow looks new, I would have probably jumped on that just because I don't need it but nice find.
keep us posted +corn
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
wquiles

Post by wquiles »

akuser47 wrote:Wow looks new, I would have probably jumped on that just because I don't need it but nice find.
keep us posted +corn
Yes, it really looks new (used very little). The loading gate feels stiff which tells me it has not seen much use. The seller claims said he bought it from his friend after his friend shot only one box of ammo. He (the seller) claims he shot several boxes of ammo, before putting it away, until he decided to sell it.

The mount alone is $50, and the scope is $199, and it does not have any dings/scratches, so even if I say both are $150, to get the rifle for $530 was a good deal for a JM Marlin. Plus somebody did a great trigger job and did the big loop conversion ($150+ in parts), and both were well done.

Funny thing is that in the prior months I never saw a single one. Today, ran into this one. Maybe it was meant to be.

Will
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

True things happen for a reason
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Looks like a sweet gun in great shape.