Hello from SE KY

Tell us a bit about yourself!
jaegan438

Hello from SE KY

Post by jaegan438 »

Hello. Only 1 Rossi at the moment (.38/.357 Ranch Hand) which has developed a small glitch(not releasing cartridges from the magazine tube). Just looking for info.
-Russ
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hello from SE KY

Post by Ranch Dog »

Welcome! Someone should be able to give you some help as this is simply the R92.
Michael
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

jaegan438 wrote:Hello. Only 1 Rossi at the moment (.38/.357 Ranch Hand) which has developed a small glitch(not releasing cartridges from the magazine tube). Just looking for info.
-Russ
Welcome from Lexington Kentucky. I have an R92 but know nothing about the Ranch Hands, I do have a question and suggestion. I would assume that it has the ABS plastic magazine follower if it like most of the lever guns. If so you might invest in a metal one from say Steve's Gunz site. They sometimes get tight due to swelling usually caused but some chemical used to clean the guns. My 92 got that way after about 3 cleanings and I replaced it.
Joe
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

joec wrote:
jaegan438 wrote:Hello. Only 1 Rossi at the moment (.38/.357 Ranch Hand) which has developed a small glitch(not releasing cartridges from the magazine tube). Just looking for info.
-Russ
Welcome from Lexington Kentucky. I have an R92 but know nothing about the Ranch Hands, I do have a question and suggestion. I would assume that it has the ABS plastic magazine follower if it like most of the lever guns. If so you might invest in a metal one from say Steve's Gunz site. They sometimes get tight due to swelling usually caused but some chemical used to clean the guns. My 92 got that way after about 3 cleanings and I replaced it.
Owning the Steve's Gunz DVD for reference purposes on disassembly/reassembly of the Rossi 92 is a good idea so I advise buying the whole inexpensive kit which includes the metal magazine follower.
My routine new Rossi clean-up/tune-up regimen includes replacing plastic magazine followers with SS followers & a lot of other stuff.
I set my leverguns up for hunting rather than cowboy action shooting so unless it really needs it I hold off on the full Steve's Gunz slick up procedure..........ie I don't grind the springs or the other metal parts.
The basic scrubbing & cleaning of parts with dechlorinated brake parts cleaner and smoothing of rough spots with emery paper and stones followed by a thorough lubing with a good quality machine oil usually takes my new Rossis where they need to be in regards to smooth running.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

pricedo wrote:
joec wrote:
-Russ
Owning the Steve's Gunz DVD for reference purposes on disassembly/reassembly of the Rossi 92 is a good idea so I advise buying the whole inexpensive kit which includes the metal magazine follower.
My routine new Rossi clean-up/tune-up regimen includes replacing plastic magazine followers with SS followers & a lot of other stuff.
I set my leverguns up for hunting rather than cowboy action shooting so unless it really needs it I hold off on the full Steve's Gunz slick up procedure..........ie I don't grind the springs or the other metal parts.
The basic scrubbing & cleaning of parts with dechlorinated brake parts cleaner and smoothing of rough spots with emery paper and stones followed by a thorough lubing with a good quality machine oil usually takes my new Rossis where they need to be in regards to smooth running.
I did buy his kit and followed most of his instructions minus a few things. I also went with the Gunslinger spring set from Brownells on my R92 over his. The DVD is worth the price of the kit in my opinion as I'm sure no gunsmith but one time sheet metal worker so not afraid of tools.
Joe
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

welcome
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
jaegan438

Post by jaegan438 »

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into the DVD and the replacement follower. Busy with work and school this week, but I'll try to write up what seems to be happening with mine as a post in the gunsmithing forum when I have the time. I'm not a gunsmith but I have done a little work on various guns over the years, just never on any 92 actions, so I'm not dialed in on what's causing the behavior I'm seeing yet.