Adding gas Checks?

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
Quinc
Founding Member
Founding Member

Adding gas Checks?

Post by Quinc »

I want to buy some cast bullets for my 458 Socom, but I have no idea how to add the gas checks. I have read everything from using a bullet puller die to tapping them on with a small hammer? Anyone have any tips for the cheapest easiest way to add them? I plan on pushing the cast bullets around 1200-1700fps.
"Everyone has a plan tell they get punched in the face." -Mike Tyson
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Adding gas Checks?

Post by joec »

Lee Lube and Size Kit does a pretty good job of them for about $16. It presses gas checks on as sizes the bullet if needed.
Joe
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Also, the bullets must be designed to accept them via a shank on the base of the bullet.
Michael
Quinc
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Quinc »

Damn. Looks like I might have to break down and start casting.. any recommendations for a mold that I can use gas checks with. Around 450gr.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I'm not familiar with the 458 Socom's chamber requirements, that makes a big difference. Give it a google.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

The 458 Socom shoots a big 45 caliber rifle bullet at relatively low velocities.......not in the same league as stoutly loaded .45-70 & .450 Marlin cartridges.
Sounds like a good short range cartridge for hogs.
Originally designed for military applications.
Might be problematic getting brass for it.
The beauty about the oh 3, thutty thutty, aught 6, oh 8, .45 LC, .44 Mag, .45-70 is that the loaded ammo & reloading supplies & components (dies, brass) are ubiquitous in North America & elsewhere.
If you forget your ammo at home you can go to a mom & pop hardware store in Wayoutyonder, USA or Eskimoville, Canada & have decent odds of finding green/yellow boxed ammo.
Not so with the specialized stuff like the 458 Socom.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

pricedo wrote:The 458 Socom shoots a big 45 caliber rifle bullet at relatively low velocities.......not in the same league as stoutly loaded .45-70 & .450 Marlin cartridges.
The beauty about the oh 3, thutty thutty, aught 6, oh 8, .45 LC, .44 Mag, .45-70 is that the loaded ammo & reloading supplies & components (dies, brass) are ubiquitous in North America & elsewhere.
If you forget your ammo at home you can go to a mom & pop hardware store in Wayoutyonder, USA or Eskimoville, Canada & have decent odds of finding green/yellow boxed ammo.
I'm thinking more about the throat, leade, step, and freebore cut it the chamber. One of the problems with these proprietary cartridges is that chamber drawings are not readily available as they do not run them through SAAMI.
Michael
Quinc
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Quinc »

pricedo wrote:The 458 Socom shoots a big 45 caliber rifle bullet at relatively low velocities.......not in the same league as stoutly loaded .45-70 & .450 Marlin cartridges.
I bought the brass before I bought the upper! But yeah brass is damn near impossible to find once it's out of stock. I have 100gr - 582gr bullets on the way for it! 8-)
Ranch Dog wrote:I'm not familiar with the 458 Socom's chamber requirements, that makes a big difference.
I read somewhere about someone using a Ranch Dog mold. I will have to find it again. Everything I have read has said to use .459 cast bullets with gas checks.