Hello from England.

Tell us a bit about yourself!
Drew66

Hello from England.

Post by Drew66 »

Hi, I am new to this forum and just wanted to say hello to everyone. I have a Rossi 92 with a 24 inch octaganol barrel on order in .357 and will be looking for advice on reloading and tuning.

I have been shooting for some years now, mainly shotguns and .22 rifles and also own a .44 cylinder loading black powder revolver. I try to visit the US as often as I can, and always look for a local gun club and shop.

Best Wishes to you all
Drew66
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Hello from England.

Post by akuser47 »

Welcome glad to have you.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Welcome! It might help to post your travel destinations as someone might have some suggestions for shops or ranges to visit.
Michael
Esel
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Esel »

I'm new here as well and have already been helped with great reloading advice, etc. by the forum members. I'm sure you will feel welcomed here as I have. Congratulations on your new purchase. That's a rifle I'd like to own myself.
Buck Bodine

Post by Buck Bodine »

Welcome Drew! I have the same rifle, except with a 20" barrel. It seems like there a quite a few folks here that are into reloading and tuning, myself included, so if you need help....

BB
Drew66

Post by Drew66 »

Hi, Thank you to you all for the warm welcome I have received on this forum. I would like a little advice on loads for my .357 magnum. I will be loading Hodgdon's HP.38 with a 158 gr trunkated cone lead bullet. The restrictions placed on my range are that the muzzle velocity must not exceed 2000 ft per second and the muzzle energy must not exceed 350 ft lbs. Any thoughts you have are most appreciated. Many Thanks.
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

Welcome to the forum Drew. I've not been to Great Britain since the early 80's but fun place though doubts about most of the food. :D

Now as to the loads you are looking for. What powder and which 38spl or 357 Mag are you wanting to load? Just glancing at the Lee Modern Loads book and finding in the 357 lead bullet it list a large list of powders that at max are below your 2000 ft per sec class with most in the 754 min to 1307 fps.
Joe
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Drew66 wrote:Hi, Thank you to you all for the warm welcome I have received on this forum. I would like a little advice on loads for my .357 magnum. I will be loading Hodgdon's HP.38 with a 158 gr trunkated cone lead bullet. The restrictions placed on my range are that the muzzle velocity must not exceed 2000 ft per second and the muzzle energy must not exceed 350 ft lbs. Any thoughts you have are most appreciated. Many Thanks.
The FPE is the issue with the 357 Mag. The bullet must not leave the barrel at a velocity greater than 1000 FPS. QuickLoad suggest that it will only take 3.2 grains of HP38 but that isn't much powder in the case, 20% case capacity. Some times that is bad with volatile powders as they become "shaped charges" against only one area of the chamber.
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I have found that as long as I use magnum primers instead of standard with light loads it avoids issues for me, but as stated I have shoot 158 grain bullets with 4 grains of HP38 and it was fine much lower though I am not sure what would happen for my guns. need a chrono for speed and a mic to check your cases. upon your search for the petload that works for you.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!