A 92 to go with the 94

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
gc70

Re: A 92 to go with the 94

Post by gc70 »

pricedo wrote:The posts have been silent on one criterion, namely barrel length.
I assume from the pics that we're comparing guns that have 20" barrels.
Both of my rifles have 20" barrels and .357 bores. I was surprised that there was a 1.5 pound weight difference between the Marlin with an octagon barrel and the Rossi with a round barrel.

Interestingly, the Rossi catalog also shows a 20" octagon barrel weighs 6.5 pounds versus 5 pounds for a 20" round barrel.
pricedo wrote:There is a naming convention in regards to Winchester leverguns & their clones that is loosely followed:
rifle - 24" or longer barrel
carbine - 20" barrel
trapper - 16" barrel
It has been pretty frustrating trying to figure out what to call the guns. Sometimes the name is based on barrel length, but other times it is based on barrel style (the Rossi catalog calls everything with an octagon barrel a rifle and everything with a round barrel a carbine). I think I'll just call them mine. :mrgreen:
pricedo wrote:Congrats gc70 on 2 rifles that look like they have been very well cared for. :mrgreen:
Thanks! The Marlin is a 2002 model; the Rossi is brand new.
45LC92

Post by 45LC92 »

pricedo wrote: There is a naming convention in regards to Winchester leverguns & their clones that is loosely followed:
carbine - 20" barrel
trapper - 16" barrel
Now you guys are really confusing me. I thought rifle versus carbine was determined by the butt-plate style and the fore-end style - rifle using a curved plate, carbine using crescent style - rifle using fore-end cap and carbine using barrel band. I'm beginning to believe there is no standard at all. But then, maybe there was at one time and the old conventions have gone by the wayside.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

pricedo wrote:There is a naming convention in regards to Winchester leverguns & their clones that is loosely followed:
carbine - 20" barrel
trapper - 16" barrel
45LC92 wrote:Now you guys are really confusing me.
A key word in my statement that puts things in context is LOOSELY.
Last edited by pricedo on 12 Nov 2013 21:21, edited 2 times in total.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Strawdawg

Post by Strawdawg »

Carbine has always been a shorter barrel to my knowledge
Steve

East of Eden on Tasajillo Hill
silvertip

Post by silvertip »

Here is a quote from a thread that I found at "The Firing Line" forum. This explains the difference between a rifle and a carbine so far as Winchester was concerned. The discussion refers to a Model 1894, but I had always read that this applied to virtually all of Winchesters lever guns with tubular magazines. Basically if it had barrel bands it was a carbine. If it had a crescent butt plate, a fore end cap, and a dovetailed magazine hanger it was a rifle. If it had these latter features and a barrel of 18" or less, it was not a carbine, but rather a "short rifle". But as the discussion noted, Winchester offered many options. So here is the quote followed by a link to the discussion.

"Differences between a Winchester rifle and carbine
In another thread started by PAHOO, a question was asked what the differences were between a Winchester model 94 rifle and carbine. In the spirit of education, I will describe what the differences are. The 94 action stays the same and all action parts are interchangable. A carbine which most are familiar with, has a normal barrel length of 20" maximum and can be as short as 14". All carbine barrels are round, no exceptions. Most carbine buttplates are flat "shotgun" type, made of either metal or plastic. Early carbines had a curved metal buttplate similiar but not the same as a rifles cresent butt. A carbine had a band that went completely around the barrel and forend that holds the forend on. The magazine tube is held to the barrel by the same type of band. A RIFLE has a standard barrel of 26" but could be had as short as 18", these were known as short rifles. Barrel could be ordered as long as 36", these were known as extra long rifles. Barrels on rifles could be either round, octagonal, or half round and half octagonal. A rifle was issued with a curved steel buttplate called a cresent butt. The forend is attached to the barrel not by a band but by a metal cap screwed to a dovetailed wedgemilled into the bottom of the barrel. The magazine tube is attached to the barrel not by a band but by a hanger dovetailed into the bottom of the barrel. Of course Winchester offered many options, however these are the difference collector recognise."

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=481875