Henry lever action 22

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
dpe.ahoy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Henry lever action 22

Post by dpe.ahoy »

Ranch Dog wrote:
dpe.ahoy wrote:All four are accurate, feed smoothly and look better than any other lever on the market today under a thousand dollars when it comes to fit and finish. DP
Have you handled the 45-70 yet?
Handled yes, shot, no. We have one of the 45-70 and a 30-30 on the shelf at work now. Fit and finish are as good as the 22's, both have the XS sights installed on them. Some may find the fact that they are loaded into the mag tube like the 22's not to their liking, I'm used to it with the 454's I have and find it is not an issue. DP
massmanute
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by massmanute »

I have a Henry lever action .22. Actually, I bought three of them, one for me and each for two of my kids. It is the youth model, which happens to have dimensions that almost perfectly match the Rossi Model 92 with 16 inch barrel.

The gun is very smooth, and the fit and finish is mostly pretty good. There was a problem with the fitting of the rear sights. They sent replacement parts which improved the fit, but still fell short of perfection. One I sent back to the factory. They fixed the sights and also repaired a problem with the stock that I had not noticed.

I like the handling of the gun, and it is accurate enough for my purposes, i.e. I don't think the gun limits the accuracy of my shooting.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

What I'm reading are positive if not glowing reports on the Henry rifles.
I don't own one so I'll reserve judgement.
The Henry rifles I handled in shops reminded me of the bar bells in the weight room in my old high school football days when the coach made us do 4 hours of supervised weight training a week to build up our shoulders and legs.
They were heavy & clunky and I had no desire whatsoever to buy one based on first impressions.
The yellow brass Henry in 44 Mag I checked out was pretty with amazing furniture but was almost TWICE as heavy as my Rossi 92/44 Mag trapper. :evil:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
massmanute
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by massmanute »

pricedo wrote:What I'm reading are positive if not glowing reports on the Henry rifles.
I don't own one so I'll reserve judgement.
The Henry rifles I handled in shops reminded me of the bar bells in the weight room in my old high school football days when the coach made us do 4 hours of supervised weight training a week to build up our shoulders and legs.
They were heavy & clunky and I had no desire whatsoever to buy one based on first impressions.
The yellow brass Henry in 44 Mag I checked out was pretty with amazing furniture but was almost TWICE as heavy as my Rossi 92/44 Mag trapper. :evil:
Pricedo, try handling the .22 caliber lever action Henrys. They are a completely different animal from the big boys. The one I have (youth model) is a little lighter than my Rossi model 92 (16" barrel model), although the external dimensions of the guns are almost identical.
Searcher4851

Post by Searcher4851 »

I've got a Henry 22. Picked it up at a gun show, brand new for $238.00. It functions fine, doesn't look bad at all (yet), and for the price, I have no concerns about it getting the "well used" look. This is the first 22 lever action I've ever owned, although I've handled and shot Winchesters and a Browning. Quality is not comparable, but then again, neither are the prices. I can say that the little Henry is no less accurate than the others, and for me, that's good enough. I like not having to worry about getting a scratch or ding while carrying around all day. I wouldn't mind owning a 9422 or a Browning, but If I did, I'm certain they'd spend less time in the field than the Henry. (and the kids would get much less trigger time on them as well).
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Tried a Browning BL-22 and a Winchester 94/22..........nice guns..........sold them both.
I'd put the sights on the head of a grouse (which is always moving - you don't shoot at the head but where you predict it's going to be when the bullet gets there - it's a skill that takes years to hone) and if I needed an extra shot by the time I cranked that lever the bird was gone.......... they can run faster than most men.
Lever is too slow for grouse hunting........the semi-auto is the way to go.
The Henry lever 22 I looked at a while ago I believe was sporting plastic parts.......NO THANKS ! :evil:
I have 3 x Ruger 10/22s & a Ruger 77/22.........the 10/22s are the best and most popular 22RFs ever made.
If something comes out better than the 10/22 I'll buy it but that hasn't happened to date.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA