1892 44WCF Winchester (1896)

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

1892 44WCF Winchester (1896)

Post by Missionary »

Greetings
Two months ago located an 1892 Rifle in 44wcf (a favorite). Took all this time to finally get the deal done.
Externally it has little finish but a descent bore and shoots well. Has some muzzle wear from rough cleeaning during those 117 years of use. Cycles flawlessly and smooth.
Pictured with a 44WCF SRC I have had for 5 years made in 1907. Sadly the SRC was polished and reblued before I could rescue it. It had a serious muzzle bash and no muzzle rifling. It got choped one inch and shoots 3 inch groups at 70 yards.
The target photo are the results of the Rifle being fired at first 25 yards (lower group) using cross sticks. 5 rounds of 7 grains Unique with a cereal box wad and 7 cc COW all under a 220 grain Saeco 443 cast with my range scrap. Upper group is same load at 40 yards. A previose range day established that the Cream of Wheat filler load shot better than a 8 grain Unique load with no filler.
44 WCF new target.jpg
The rifle has a 24 inch round barrel. This is the first 44 WCF rifle I have seen down here in 27 years. All other 1892's seen were all SRC's. A major plus is the shotgun buttstock.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 1892 44WCF Winchester (1896)

Post by Ranch Dog »

Very interesting! I bet these guns could tell a few tales! Those slugs are sure flattening out!
Michael
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: 1892 44WCF Winchester (1896)

Post by Missionary »

Good morning
Slugs.. These are "repel boarder" projectiles. Also my plinkers. Have a very limited quantity of WW ( found 2 so far this year) that I save and mix 50-50 with my range scrap for "hunting loads". All lead gets reuesed here. no throw aways.
Not much to hunt here though. All is protected under some law in an attempt to get the wild critters repopulated. Plan is working. Just some wild dogs out in the hills. They get within 10 yards of me and "snarl" they get reminded what a "Boom Boom" stick will do.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.