G'day from South Australia

Tell us a bit about yourself!
Dingo745

G'day from South Australia

Post by Dingo745 »

Hello All,
I have just ordered my first lever action rifle, a Rossi 92 in .357 round barrel version, that I want to use in single action (cowboy) shooting in the coming months.

I only started pistol shooting a few months ago, and have gotten the lever action to partner the Ruger Vaquero in .357 I will be getting soon.
I have also purchased a Lee Progressive reloading press to load my own .38 spl and .357 loads for my Rossi and Rugers.
This is another first as well for me as I'm starting shooting a bit later in life at 57.

We have very strict gun ownership laws here in Oz, it has taken me nearly nine months to get my gun licence and first rifle, but I am still waiting out a six months probation period before I can take possession of my first handgun, and then it's another six months before I can buy another handgun, for club use only.
Possession of handguns for personal protection is totally banned, so you should appreciate the gun laws you people enjoy.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: G'day from South Australia

Post by Ranch Dog »

Good morning Dingo, welcome to the forum and thank you for your words. Those words are a good reminder to those of us in the USA! The wait periods in your country are just unbelievable!
Michael
Dingo745

Post by Dingo745 »

Ranch Dog wrote:Good morning Dingo, welcome to the forum and thank you for your words. Those words are a good reminder to those of us in the USA! The wait periods in your country are just unbelievable!
Howdy Ranch Dog,
That is not the only restrictions on guns we have in Oz.
For example,
NO hunting with handguns allowed
NO plinking with handguns, even on your own land.
Absolutely no concealed carry.
Guns must be kept in a safe at all times when not in use
As they say here, Owning a gun is a privilege, not a right.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I am thankful everyday. Welcome to the forum, We can only hope that your fine country will see the errors of their ways and let your people have their rights with less restrictions. Congrats on your purchase. I still remeber the news footage of the mass confiscation they did to destroy all those weapons owned by Australians. I shead tears at some of those heirloom guns that were in the piles.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

Welcome Dingo!!!!! pull up a chair by the campfire.
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

Dingo745

Post by Dingo745 »

Thanks fellas.
There are pro's and con's to every argument.
The catalyst for the Australian Gun Buy Back was a massacre that occurred at a place called Port Arthur, in Tasmania where 35 people from memory were murdered by one lone fruit loop.
That was a tragedy, but the government of the day made political hay, and in a knee jerk reaction banned all semi auto weapons, plus tightened up the gun laws to point of being almost ridiculous.
As an example, you need a licence to buy/own a slingshot, air rifle, and knives of certain types.
Now all the criminals have guns, and the law abiding citizens are left defenceless.
We also have a federal election coming up in two weeks, and some of the parties are hoping to get in to power by banning ALL guns as part of their platform, so we are hoping that they don't get anywhere.

I hope I enjoy my Rossi 92, when I'm allowed to hold it in my hot little hands, in a months time that is, that is the law. :(
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

well in japan they are not allowed any guns for any reason and I think it is the same with edged weapon to some degree as well. so I am glad you still get to play with some fun toys. Keeps us posted.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Dingo745 wrote:
Ranch Dog wrote:Good morning Dingo, welcome to the forum and thank you for your words. Those words are a good reminder to those of us in the USA! The wait periods in your country are just unbelievable!
Howdy Ranch Dog,
That is not the only restrictions on guns we have in Oz.
For example,
NO hunting with handguns allowed
NO plinking with handguns, even on your own land.
Absolutely no concealed carry.
Guns must be kept in a safe at all times when not in use
As they say here, Owning a gun is a privilege, not a right.

All thanks to good ole ex-PM John Howard.
Kinda reminds me of Barack (the smiling face & the behind the scenes treachery) in regards to his attitude about the right to keep & bear arms.
Don't think it can't happen in the USA :?: ........it will if WE let it. :!:
But we won't.....Chuck Heston said it best, "FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS".
Welcome to the forum Dingo745.
Glad you still get to shoot & hunt with leverguns.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA