Did I mess things up on 92 Safety

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
wll

Did I mess things up on 92 Safety

Post by wll »

Ok, I cleaned my 92, put on front band sling swivel ( will need shim)

Punched out safety drift pin, but now the safety won't move ...at all have to hit ear with light hammer touch to go from F to S

Do I need to remove it with a pair of pliers, I don't want to scratch anything up ?

In addition, it seems that the firing is now free floating, there is no spring tension, I can shake the gun and the pin will go forward and backward ?

What to do ?

wll
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Did I mess things up on 92 Safety

Post by Ranch Dog »

In a recess drilled into the side of the safety plug is a hole that houses a bb on top of a spring. It is possible that the bb has departed the assembly and a portion of the spring wire is caught between the plug and bolt.

There is also a notch cut through the plug for the pin to pass through. The safety has to be in one position to successfully remove the pin. I assume that your plug was oriented correctly in that you have removed the pin. You need to be careful removing the plug or the bb goes to "parts unknown". Hard to tell what is a matter without more info. Usually the safety plugs are fairly loose in the bolt.
Michael
wll

Post by wll »

Ranch Dog wrote:In a recess drilled into the side of the safety plug is a hole that houses a bb on top of a spring. It is possible that the bb has departed the assembly and a portion of the spring wire is caught between the plug and bolt.

There is also a notch cut through the plug for the pin to pass through. The safety has to be in one position to successfully remove the pin. I assume that your plug was oriented correctly in that you have removed the pin. You need to be careful removing the plug or the bb goes to "parts unknown". Hard to tell what is a matter without more info. Usually the safety plugs are fairly loose in the bolt.
Ranch Dog, thank you, got it out I think it was hung up on a burr ...next question ?

When the safety plug is removed, does the firing pin just float inside the bolt, is there a spring that is suppose to hold it back ?

wll
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

wll wrote:When the safety plug is removed, does the firing pin just float inside the bolt, is there a spring that is suppose to hold it back ?
It's good, just loose in the bolt.
Michael
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

It is possible that the bb has departed the assembly and a portion of the spring wire is caught between the plug and bolt.

That little BB kicked my butt one day.....lol
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

wll

Post by wll »

Tuco Ramirez wrote:It is possible that the bb has departed the assembly and a portion of the spring wire is caught between the plug and bolt.

That little BB kicked my butt one day.....lol
Tuco,

Lucky, the ball bearing and spring are all in good order and put in a little bag, the ball only went a couple of inches into a huge towel I laid on the floor in case she tried to escape ;- )

wll