Has Your Hornady Bullet Been Dropped?

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
Dan 444
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Has Your Hornady Bullet Been Dropped?

Post by Dan 444 »

Ranch Dog wrote:
Dan 444 wrote:For those that might be interested, i think that there's a guy over on the cast bullets site that sells copper gas checks. I think that his user name is "Blammer" and the checks are called Gator Checks. Not sure if my info is entirely accurate. I haven't tried them as I've always used Hornady checks.
I feel that only a small amount of the folks out there casting bullet are members of forums such as this and if you do not frequent Cast Boolits, buying Gators is tough to figure out. You have to login to the Cast Boolit Group Buy page but once there you can figure out what is in stock. Payment is via Money Order or Check, so it is a slow system. While in the mold business, I stopped recommending it as a source as I ended up having to answer too many question about how to navigate to it, figure out what is available, and then questions about the wait. That wasn't part of my business, so I started recommending the Hornady product because of the ease of ordering. Each time I have navigated through the system to buy checks that I need, they have not been available.

As I understand it, Blammer just markets the checks and a health care professional owns the machinery that produces them.

Thanks, Michael,

As I said, hadn't tried them but just thought that I would offer the info. Hornady has a quality product and I hope that they don't drop it it.

Best,
Dan
Maximumbob54
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Maximumbob54 »

Sage's Outdoors sells aluminum and copper gas checks and they also resell Gator Checks. I've not tried the Gator checks but the others work well enough. I still prefer the Hornady checks to anything else though, but it seems my 8mm checks are on hiatus as I cannot find them in stock at any of the big online stores and refuse to pay goofy prices for them.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Sage has a very good supply of Gators. Do they have the crimp rim like the Hornady's or do they just slip on.
Michael
jtaylor1960

Post by jtaylor1960 »

One thing I always liked about Hornady was that they kept making bullets for the old "obsolete" cartridges.I load 348 win. for my friends and I shoot the 32spl., 375win,45/70,35rem.I guess with the great demand for the main stream calibers and the high tech high dollar bullets has finally killed of some of the old favorites.Thank goodness most of these calibers shoot cast bullets well.The work that has been done by Ranch Dog and others will help to keep these guns shooting for many years to come.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Dan444 posted this on the Lee-Loader:

[youtube][/youtube]

Thank you Dan and thank you Mr. Hornady!
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

It isn't all bad new.
Saw some factory 358 Winchester ammo on the shelf in a gun shop for the first time in years last week.......not just 1 box either ......6 boxes of Hornady 200 grain SPs.
Hornady gave that fine caliber another reprieve from the Valhalla of obsolete rifle cartridges like another 35 caliber the 351 Self Loading or it's big brother the 401SL.
Had a chance at a real nice Win 1910 auto-loader last week but how the heck do you feed such a critter with no factory brass & it's oddball 407 caliber bullet :?: It's almost as if Winchester designed this caliber for failure like Hornady/Marlin did with the 450 Marlin with it's odd-man-out belt.
I would buy a BLR in 358 but the parent cartridge (308 Win) offers a lot more selection of guns, ammo & reloading components and I can't for the life of me think of a thing the 358 can do that the 308 can't.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
44-40 Willy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 44-40 Willy »

Punch a bigger hole?

I haven't paid much attention to Hornady in about a decade or so. They really don't offer much that I can't get elsewhere for the calibers I load for. And their swaged 44-40 bullets are undersized for my Marlin.
Navy Arms 1892 - 357 Mag - 24" Octagon heavy barrel.
Rossi 62 Octagon 22LR