Range report on my m92

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
ironhead7544
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Range report on my m92

Post by ironhead7544 »

Concerning the front sight, I found that a wide black square that appears to be the same width at the front sight works best. I use black construction paper back with typing paper to make the target. You will have to experiment to get the right width. I once had a bunch of AK rifles and 15 inches was about right for them at 100. The AK front sight will cover about the width of a man at 100 meters. This can be used as a rough range finder. If he looks 1/2 the width of the front sight then the range is about 200 meters.

To use the target, just float the square over the front sight with just a bit of white showing over the top. This allows for easy correct alignment.

This works great for handguns too. Ranch Dog shows it in his 38 Special Rossi snub thread.

2400 was made for the pistol sized rifle cartridges. Always works for me. IMR 4227 was also designed for these rounds.
Pb2au

Post by Pb2au »

It is just a bit strange. Where I ended up positioning the front sight to regulate the rifle is farther over than on any other rifle I have set up. I'm just suprised. My next move is to mount a tang sight on it and see if I can take some of that right side exaggerated position out of the front sight.
Pb2au

Post by Pb2au »

Update to my update to my update.
Got the rear sight drifted over, and got the front sight firmed up. It was shooting 8" to the right, now it is dead center, 1" Ish high at 100 yards.
The load is Lee's semiwadcutter, 250 grain boolit, wheel weights, air cooled, and the charge is 17 grains of 2400.
And the best part my dad was with me all afternoon while we dialed her in. It was awesome watching the master shoot.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Great to hear that you got it all dialed in but most of all great hearing that you were able to share the shooting with your dad!
Michael
Pb2au

Post by Pb2au »

Dad is pretty fun to watch shoot. One, he is a very very good rifleman. Two, there is no muss or fuss. He just picks up the rifle, sends a couple downrange and understands where it is hitting. Then it is game on.
The funny thing is he doesn't really care for target shooting. I asked him once why, and he simply said, " I know where it hits, so practicing doesn't matter."
He rarely misses with a rifle/pistol/shotgun. He hunted for the pot when we were kids. We didn't have a lot of money, so cartridges had to count to feed three boys.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Pb2au wrote:Dad is pretty fun to watch shoot. One, he is a very very good rifleman. Two, there is no muss or fuss. He just picks up the rifle, sends a couple downrange and understands where it is hitting. Then it is game on.
The funny thing is he doesn't really care for target shooting. I asked him once why, and he simply said, " I know where it hits, so practicing doesn't matter."
He rarely misses with a rifle/pistol/shotgun. He hunted for the pot when we were kids. We didn't have a lot of money, so cartridges had to count to feed three boys.
He sounds exactly like my dad. My dad see all my activity as a "waste" but feels it is better than collecting dolls.
Michael