Big Horn Armory Model 89

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Big Horn Armory Model 89

Post by Ranch Dog »

Wolfe Publishing had a very good report of the BHA Model 89 chambered in 500 S&W (currently the only chambering). This is one of the few magazines I receive as most magazines don't meet my standard of reporting. Apparently, the Model 89 (Spike Driver) is now available after some delays but at $2300 I doubt that I will ever see one here in South Texas.

The article had a good point to be made that applies to our beloved R92, and I thought I would quote it here. "The gun worked flawlessly, but those not familiar with Winchester pattern rifles might accidentally short stroke the action, or in effect fail to work the lever far enough forward to allow the carrier to "lift" the cartridge to align with the chamber. This action should be worked briskly with a bit of enthusiasm; it then runs smoothly with perfect feeding and function."

Truer words have not been written about the Winchester 92 and its copies made in recent years. Many come to the R92 now with little levergun experience or that from a Marlin 336, 1894, or 1895, but they are not the same rifle. The carrier of the R92 has two positions, down and up, without any in between. It takes a positive lever stroke to get it to move and deliver the cartridge to the feed ramp.

The article finished with notice that the rifle is to be chambered in 454 Casull as well and went on about this cartridge a bit about the challenge it is to chamber it in a levergun. Of course, we know that Rossi has quietly been doing this for awhile and many of us have been using it on the range and it the field for some time now.

The rifle was set up for as a scoped scout rifle so it made me feel not quite the nut for "chunking pumpkins" with both my 454 and 480 Ruger!
Michael
Maximumbob54
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Big Horn Armory Model 89

Post by Maximumbob54 »

For the asking price it had better be self cleaning or something. I could own three or four Rossi M92's for that asking price. The fit and finish needs to be beyond top notch. Especially when the .454 isn't that much less of a gun than the .460 or .500 so it comes down to (IMHO) if you just have to have the .500 then I guess this is the rifle for you. It is a beautiful rifle though from the stock photos on their website.